Frontosa Identification Please

SphericalCube

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2006
Arlington, Tx
goomba.predatoryfish.net
Josh said:
Jimmy, the bars will separate as they get older. Lots of blue at a very small size is a good sign. Good find bro!
It's not often you get a compliment on your fish from a hostile jew bass terd like you, I must really have found a good deal :headbang2

Do you have a snubnose .38 under your yamacha? (J/K, don't get your dredle in a twist) Do they look like Burundi to everyone? Does anyone have a hookup on some Zaire Blues? Can't wait for them to get big, they get such a purdy mouth. . . :D

--Jimmy

P.S. These are about 1.5in. Are the number of bars counted including the eye bar or without? I've heard it both ways.

ChosenOne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Central MA
SphericalCube said:
I just picked up 4 Fronts at Keller Farms. The look like Burundi's and two of them have split bars, one looking like it has 7 but 2 in the middle are just too close together, they're barely apart enough to be 2 bars. Is this a sign of inbreeding or poor genetic material? I'm trying to set up to breed them someday and I'll take them back up to the store and exchange if y'all think I should. Thanks.

--Jimmy

The one in the top left here is the other one with the separated bars. It's not near as noticable though.
Are the fish all from the same source? Siblings?
Since you're going to breed them.I'll be straight forward. It's possible that those Fronts are crossed between the 7 stripe Kigoma Frontosa's maybe a couple generations back.. Either that or a couple generation of inbreeding between regular Burundi's.. Nice fish anyways but not good if someone is willing to buy offspring off of you. Unless you specify otherwise. The other fish look fine, except for the one with the 7 stripe. but if they are all related then it applies to all of them.

Fin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Canada
www.cyphos.com
Josh said:
Jimmy, the bars will separate as they get older. Lots of blue at a very small size is a good sign. Good find bro!

I'm not sure where you got your information about stripes that are connected will eventually separate when they older :confused: :screwy:

I mean have a real close look at the picture of the one where the stripe is totally connected not even showing partial white between the stripes it will stay that way for its whole life ....

When fry show some oddball striping its more than likely not grow out when they get older .Its also like mooning which is pretty common on Mpimbwes which is a spot on the black stripes thats show near the top near the dorsal .Its very rare that when fry are growing out showing mooning that it will disappear .

zekni

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
St. George, Utah
I agree with Fin. The bars won't seperate as they get older. If you're looking to breed fronts, I honestly wouldn't suggest using these fish. Nice genetic specimins should have clearly defined barring with no breakage, connections or extra stripes. Many people won't even breed fronts with flaws such as mooning.

Burundi's are a dime a dozen online. Try looking around, and check out the online sellers on the cyphos website listed earlier. There are a lot of nice quality fish that are inexpensive and even with shipping, likely less that you will pay at a pet store. I've bought all my fronts online, they ship well, even when small.
Fronts are a great fish, and if you want to keep them just to keep them, then it doesn't matter what your fish look like, but all the fish pictured really should be considered "pet" fish, and not breeders. If you want more opinions on this, post your pics on that site (www.cyphos.com), there are plenty of experts on the species there that will be happy to add their opinion.

milk_and_mallard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
san diego
Those are definetly burundis and have suffered greatly from imbreeding. Their stripes don't even hold form anymore. Evolution would have snuffed those burundis out if it had the chance.

milk_and_mallard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
san diego
Most ppl don't even bother breeding burundi's either. If so, the quality needs to atleast be satisfactory.

zekni said:
I agree with Fin. The bars won't seperate as they get older. If you're looking to breed fronts, I honestly wouldn't suggest using these fish. Nice genetic specimins should have clearly defined barring with no breakage, connections or extra stripes. Many people won't even breed fronts with flaws such as mooning.

Burundi's are a dime a dozen online. Try looking around, and check out the online sellers on the cyphos website listed earlier. There are a lot of nice quality fish that are inexpensive and even with shipping, likely less that you will pay at a pet store. I've bought all my fronts online, they ship well, even when small.
Fronts are a great fish, and if you want to keep them just to keep them, then it doesn't matter what your fish look like, but all the fish pictured really should be considered "pet" fish, and not breeders. If you want more opinions on this, post your pics on that site (www.cyphos.com), there are plenty of experts on the species there that will be happy to add their opinion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store