MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
If yes, what is your nitrate?
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
41-50%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
9 inch male has been acting strange for a few weeks. stays black and when swimming bumps into every rock along the way. has full control over where he swims cause he can and has swam to the top of the tank and then across to the other side without problems so ruling out anything swim bladder related since doesnt seem to be a balance issue..he does stay close to the bottom most times, doesnt interact with other fronts unless they try to go into his cave. have thought he might be blind except his eyes are clear without damage and seems to react if a light comes on or i move from my chair yet at times wont react to a net in front of him. he does start sifting the substrate around areas that i drop food. im confused as to what can be the issue,,, he has moved around from tank to tank so might be not adjusting to the surroundings im not sure. the other fish all seem to be doing fine. have him in a hospital tank atm with general cure to see if i can rule out more possible things being wrong

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
How long have you had him? How many times has he been moved? Are all the he tanks water parameters the same? What about pH, kh, gh, and temp?

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
How long have you had him? How many times has he been moved? Are all the he tanks water parameters the same? What about pH, kh, gh, and temp?
ph is about 8 not sure kh gh temp is 81-82 yes tank water parameters are about the same,,african tanks buffered slightly with crushed coral. moved him about 3 times in 6 months hes in a 150 gallon with a small colony of fronts smaller than him and a few red empress haps. peaceful tank, no fighting. tank cycles 10 x over with canisters,hob's, 50% wc once a week

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
kno4te kno4te Rocksor Rocksor

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Would keep in the qt tank and observe while being treated with general cure.

Reactions: Rocksor

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
Would keep in the qt tank and observe while being treated with general cure.
will do...have 0 ideas what the deal is. few weeks ago felt like it was worse,,he only stayed in one spot and never moved around then after a week or so he started to swim around more,,in the hospital tank hes swimming around much more. still does this thing like he cant control if he smacks into the glass either on the sides or the bottom (barebottom tank). im pretty sure he can in fact see just not sure why he acts like he cant. every now and then if i keep the light off he seems more comfortable,gets some of this bars back and isnt so black. he can swim in whatever direction he chooses so dont think swim bladder has anything wrong,,swimming seems normal other than bumping into things. also have noticed once hes in a tank long enough he seems to not be as clumsy, was noticing that in the main tank

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
If you can't see anything external or any symptoms like not eating, weird poo, etc, one possibility is he banged into something. Fronts have a tendency to bolt when startled and sometimes they bang into things, which is more likely in a tank they're not at home in or with tall rocks, driftwood, etc.. Or less often, but it can happen, they can bang into the glass or leap out of the tank. Some of them spook for no real reason and if he's been moved around a lot recently he may be more spooky than usual.

Just a possibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: kno4te

Apollyeon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2019
If you can't see anything external or any symptoms like not eating, weird poo, etc, one possibility is he banged into something. Fronts have a tendency to bolt when startled and sometimes they bang into things, which is more likely in a tank they're not at home in or with tall rocks, driftwood, etc.. Or less often, but it can happen, they can bang into the glass or leap out of the tank. Some of them spook for no real reason and if he's been moved around a lot recently he may be more spooky than usual.

Just a possibility.
nope nothing external except being solid black with hardly any signs of white bars, no weird poo,, he eats but basically scoops up mouthful of the substrate along with the food then spits the substrate back out..when i say he runs into things its like he has zero depth perception so he clips stones,sides of his cave, filter intakes...his eyes are clear,no cloudyness pupils look great,eyes move around like normal he can navigate to find his favorite spots to go in the tank so im pretty certian he isnt blind, might just need lot more time to settle in. he does seem to perk up in the main tank once i had added some dithers and the haps swimming out in the open,,when it was only fronts he just hid all the time. none of the other fronts mess with him. when in his cave ive noticed his color comes back but when he exits to swim out in the open he goes black again..he tends to hug the bottom like swims an inch or 2 off the bottom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store