Frontosa with blue dolphin cichlid

SK13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2017
I have a blue dolphin cichlid along with two severums.
Can i add frontosas with them? Or will it create problem?
Tank size is 75 gallon.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
the dolphin and fronts are African cichlids while the severums are southamerican technically like different water but it can be done

Reactions: SK13

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Fronts do grow slowly, but if you don't plan on upgrading the tank, I would not get them. They are social and like to live in groups and 75 gallons is not large enough to keep a group. If the severums and dolphin are getting along I would just leave them in there. That is enough large fish to fill out the tank.

Reactions: SK13

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
I gotta agree with the others that's not a tank for really any of those species because they pretty much all outgrow it. I have a colony of frontosa myself in a 6ft tank, they like to be kept in groups of at least 4-6 or more which won't work in a 75g. My alpha male is a full 12"-13" so not a fish for a 75g.

I also have a few Moorii (blue dolphin) in my 240g Hap & Mbuna tank. Those are also a fish which I would not suggest for a 75g. They get to an average of about 8" but sometimes will get even bigger, and they can be a bit aggressive. Frontosa are a very peaceful and easily spooked fish and while some people have kept Moorii in with fronts in a very large tank it is not something I would suggest.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store