Frozen Blood Worm Allergies

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Just figured out I am allergic to BW.

What happens is my eyes start to get a burning itch and worsen if I scratch. Back of my hands get itchy. I just pinned it to it only happens right after I feed fish BW's!!!

Sure enough its all over the net.

Wondering if any members here have same reactions or any Info on what and why makes them an allergen?

Funny thing is I am completely not allergic to anything at all but this lol.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I've heard of people having allergic reactions to blood worms. I don't know what causes it.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I posted this back in 2006:

Scientists Describe Bloodworm Allergen

Medical scientists have described an allergen found in bloodworms that may affect fishkeepers.

The paper, which has just been published in the Journal of Investigational Allergology and Clinical Immunology, describes the case of a 23-year old Spanish patient who became ill after feeding bloodworms to his fish.

His symptoms, which included a rash, rhinoconjunctivitis (a combination of rhinitis and conjunctivitis), breathlessness and difficulty swallowing, led to doctors trying to determine the cause of the allergic reaction.

After investigating a number of other allergens, ranging from mussel, squid, house dust and dust mites to prawns and mosquitos, the study eventually revealed that the man was allergic to Chironomid midges, and their larvae - bloodworms.

The study says that Chironomid allergies are rare and are only seen in those who handle bloodworms used for fish foods.

Practical Fishkeeping has previously printed a letter in the Ask the Experts column from a reader who suffered from the condition.

For more details see the paper: Cabrerizo Ballesteros S, de Barrio M, Baeza ML, Rubio t (2006) - Allergy to chironomid larvae (red migde larvae) in non professional handlers of fish food. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2006; 16(1): 63-8.

The principle allergin hasn't been definitively identified, yet. It is most likely an amino acid sequence of the monomeric hemoglobin component from the bloodworm.

*NOTE*: An allergic reaction is not solely caused by live or frozen bloodworms. Allergic symptoms have also been reported from freeze-dried bloodworm pieces and powder.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
That's crazy! Thanks for the reference Oddball.
I thought I was crazy untill I googled it.

My Store Brand BW's come from China. I wonder if there is something in it that is not listed in the ingredients. This is possible in U.S so in China it is most definitely possible.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
...........................................the study eventually revealed that the man was allergic to Chironomid midges, and their larvae - bloodworms.
The study says that Chironomid allergies are rare and are only seen in those who handle bloodworms used for fish foods.
The principle allergin hasn't been definitively identified, yet. It is most likely an amino acid sequence of the monomeric hemoglobin component from the bloodworm.
That's crazy! Thanks for the
I posted this back in 2006:

Scientists Describe Bloodworm Allergen

Medical scientists have described an allergen found in bloodworms that may affect fishkeepers.

The paper, which has just been published in the Journal of Investigational Allergology and Clinical Immunology, describes the case of a 23-year old Spanish patient who became ill after feeding bloodworms to his fish.
After investigating a number of other allergens, ranging from mussel, squid, house dust and dust mites to prawns and mosquitos, the study eventually revealed that the man was allergic to Chironomid midges, and their larvae - bloodworms.

The study says that Chironomid allergies are rare and are only seen in those who handle bloodworms used for fish foods...............................
For more details see the paper: Cabrerizo Ballesteros S, de Barrio M, Baeza ML, Rubio t (2006) - Allergy to chironomid larvae (red migde larvae) in non professional handlers of fish food. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2006; 16(1): 63-8.

*NOTE*: An allergic reaction is not solely caused by live or frozen bloodworms. Allergic symptoms have also been reported from freeze-dried bloodworm pieces and powder.
reference Oddball.
I thought I was crazy untill I googled it.

My Store Brand BW's come from China. I wonder if there is something in it that is not listed in the ingredients. This is possible in U.S so in China it is most definitely possible.
doesn't have to be anything added. it's the BWs alone.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
I didn't know BWs were the larvae of midges.
Many horses develop allergies to midge bites, with repeated exposure. my horse did. it's a horrible, deep itch. I have to cover her with protectant all season or she will rub herself bloody raw.
Vet said there are horses in the area kept in pastures (unprotected) who rub them selves almost completely bald.
Allergies or not, those midge bites cause bad itching...just goes much deeper and more severe with allergies.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store