Frozen Blood Worm Allergies

Barleysoda

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
West Sacramento
WOW!...I never heard of this until now. looks like I better start wearing latex gloves when handling my blood worms. I would get all kinds of goo from the frozen blood worms melting in my hands and I would just wipe my hands off on my pants.:D

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Yeah, I'm mildly allergic to them myself, although not near as bad as the OP. For me, it's if I touch them for more than about half a second, about five minutes later my fingers where I touched them will get hot/burny and really itchy for about half an hour then it goes away. Sucks that my fish love them so much, so I just pop them right in to a feeding bowl out of the package now and feed them with a plastic pharmacy syringe.

I thought I was just sensitive to some chemical or preservative (which looking back doesn't make sense because I can touch frozen mysis and daphnia without a problem), but I guess it's more common than I thought.

Stedz2121

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2016
Wow iv had red spots over my arms for a few days at a time for years. Iv changed so much soap/ washing powder changed foods and stoped eating stuff, been doctors a few times about them and never found out the cause. Maybe I just did thanks

Reactions: tlindsey

MC4RKiller

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
VA
I cant feed them at all, which sucks because fish love them and they offer great nutritional value. Even if I wear gloves and only use utensils to feed my face swells, airway constricts, and I get a wonderful red itchy rash which lasts for a couple of days. I fed them for years without issues until one day I found myself in a rather unattractive mess requiring an Epipen and some heavy doses of Benadryl for a few days. I have tried it a few time since and even in their frozen state with gloves I get a reaction.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
Ive never actually touched the freeze dried bloodworms when i have fed...i just shake as much as i need into the lid then toss in

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I'm not sure if I'm allergic to freeze dried. I'm going to buy some blood worms again to feed some baby gars. Let's see if this happens to me again

Manas

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2017
Udaipur, Rajasthan, India
Just figured out I am allergic to BW.

What happens is my eyes start to get a burning itch and worsen if I scratch. Back of my hands get itchy. I just pinned it to it only happens right after I feed fish BW's!!!

Sure enough its all over the net.

Wondering if any members here have same reactions or any Info on what and why makes them an allergen?

Funny thing is I am completely not allergic to anything at all but this lol.
Ohk, umm try using gloves and glasses while feeding. That might work. Or the other option is to change the food, something else that your pet would love to accept. Thx

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Wash your hands as soon as you are done feeding them. If I do this I can feed bw, other wise my eyes swell shut.
Damn!....this is interesting although bw does not seem to affect me after I work with it to feed my fish.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Damn!....this is interesting although bw does not seem to affect me after I work with it to feed my fish.
I've handled bloodworms for decades with zero issues. It wasn't until sometime in my 4th decade of fishkeeping that I began to experience reactions to them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store