Frozen Blood Worm Allergies

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've handled bloodworms for decades with zero issues. It wasn't until sometime in my 4th decade of fishkeeping that I began to experience reactions to them.
I wonder if it has to do with some chemical that might be used in preservation process.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I wonder if it has to do with some chemical that might be used in preservation process.
It's a protein characteristic within the bloodworms themselves since reactions also occur with the live larvae.

MonsterAngel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2017
To safe, I get Brine Scrimp... the frozen bloodworm always looks like a hand made. All pieces of worm size and diameter and long looks evenly. Frozen Bloodworm hand made with corn starch

fishy5

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
United State
Just figured out I am allergic to BW.

What happens is my eyes start to get a burning itch and worsen if I scratch. Back of my hands get itchy. I just pinned it to it only happens right after I feed fish BW's!!!

Sure enough its all over the net.

Wondering if any members here have same reactions or any Info on what and why makes them an allergen?

Funny thing is I am completely not allergic to anything at all but this lol.
Just fed frozen bloodworms the last two days for the first time and like 35 mins later my hands were burning and itching... Just connecting the two.

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
Just fed frozen bloodworms the last two days for the first time and like 35 mins later my hands were burning and itching... Just connecting the two.
The best way to fix that is to give your eyes a really good rub.

No just kidding, seriously do NOT do that. I've made that mistake several times. It usually results in my eyes watering a little. So I rub them more, so they water a lot so I rub them a lot so they water HEAPS so I start rubbing them heaps. Then by the time I stop doing it unconsciously and pay attention my eyeballs are all red and have big watery blisters on them...

fishy5

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
United State
The best way to fix that is to give your eyes a really good rub.

No just kidding, seriously do NOT do that. I've made that mistake several times. It usually results in my eyes watering a little. So I rub them more, so they water a lot so I rub them a lot so they water HEAPS so I start rubbing them heaps. Then by the time I stop doing it unconsciously and pay attention my eyeballs are all red and have big watery blisters on them...
I know the feeling

devan221

Feeder Fish
Feb 21, 2018
Disclaimer: I am not now, nor do I ever intend to be, a monster fish keeper! In fact, I'm sitting here waiting as patiently as I can for the UPS man to bring me my new DWARF blue crayfish. That said, I'm allergic to life, so do whatever you want with my advice.

Buy gloves.....get the nitrile ones. Do not buy latex. Do not play "reuse the gloves" just to make a box last longer. Throw them away. Handle the bloodworms as little as possible. It is possible, and maybe probable, that your allergy will get worse ever time you are exposed to the bloodworms. Keep benadryl handy - it will likely lessen the allergic reaction if you take it. It will also probably put you to sleep!

And last, but not least, if you have a spouse, partner, roommate, friend, etc who can deal with the bloodworms instead of you, ask them to do that. I know you like to feed your fish, but I bet you like to breath, as well.

Ritz.edm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2018
Canada
Just figured out I am allergic to BW.

What happens is my eyes start to get a burning itch and worsen if I scratch. Back of my hands get itchy. I just pinned it to it only happens right after I feed fish BW's!!!

Sure enough its all over the net.

Wondering if any members here have same reactions or any Info on what and why makes them an allergen?

Funny thing is I am completely not allergic to anything at all but this lol.
I also have allergies from bw and shrimp . I have to avoid directly touching them

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
This is the first time I have heard of this, and I have been feeding bloodworms for a few years now.

I kept fish for many years and never fed anything except packaged fish food.

But I do suffer from certain allergies and now I'm itching just thinking about this.
:crazy:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store