Frozen Seafood Recommendations

agent1207

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
I currently feed different brands of small frozen shrimp from grocery stores, going to try the larger sizes of shrimp soon as fish are getting larger.

What other frozen foods would you guys recommend feeding/ and what frozen foods should I avoid? Typically looking for seafoods that wont smell or foul the water.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Suggest smelt. That’s a good option. Make sure it’s not a small portion of a varied diet. Oily foods aren’t a good mainstay. Neither is foods with thiaminase in it.

agent1207

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2020
Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Suggest smelt. That’s a good option. Make sure it’s not a small portion of a varied diet. Oily foods aren’t a good mainstay. Neither is foods with thiaminase in it.
Should I aim to feed them the whole fish, and try to find small enough smelt for them to swallow whole? Or do you think they would accept portions.

As currently the peacock bass don't seem to eat cut up tilapia only the Jaguar Cichlid and Motoro Stingray enjoy it.

Reactions: tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should I aim to feed them the whole fish, and try to find small enough smelt for them to swallow whole? Or do you think they would accept portions.

As currently the peacock bass don't seem to eat cut up tilapia only the Jaguar Cichlid and Motoro Stingray enjoy it.
If ur fish are big enough or the food is small enough to take it whole then try a whole piece of smelt.

Reactions: cigars and tlindsey

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
I feed my bass a varied diet mostly massivore pellets but I give them tilapia, shrimp, mussels, bay scallops they pretty much except anything meaty I throw in the tank. My bass are big so 2 pounds of shrimp gets consumed in one feeding I don’t feed regularly right now because times are little tough for me so only as a treat, I was feeding them pellets and then topping them off with meaty foods every other day before all this happened.

qldmick

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2016
We have a marinara mix here at our major supermarket in Australia, it contains, white fish, salmon, mussels, squid and prawns. the last few months though I've been feeding fish that we have caught ourselves. I cut it all up into suitable sizes.

Reactions: agent1207
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store