Fry Tank Build out of Electrical Panels

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Just drill the dam thing. Bulkheads are like 3 bucks on amazon. Very easy to do with a metal box, plus then you don’t have to worry about the water bridge loosing prime.

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Just drill the dam thing. Bulkheads are like 3 bucks on amazon. Very easy to do with a metal box, plus then you don’t have to worry about the water bridge loosing prime.
You think i should go for it? I can pop up to 2" holes with the knock-out kit at work. I could do two PVC pipes connecting the two enclosures and get some water-tight bulkheads.

This was my original plan with this build, kinda think in the end it will be cooler with them connected allowing the fish to swim freely between the two tanks. I can throw a HOB on each enclosure plus a sponge filter. With a cool looking stand and maybe some plants setup in between to hide the PVC it could be a cool little setup. Like a dual mini pond

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
Would be super-cool to have clear pipe between the two, I dunno if that's an option? Every clear pipe I've seen is pretty pricey

aae0130

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
I would use the bigger side for the fish and the smaller side as a sump.

aae0130

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
With two small pumps. In the main tank you put a pump on the wall near the top so it could never remove more water than can be held in the other box. The second pump returns the water. It goes on the floor of the sump section.
You could put divider walls with small slots or holes to create chambers for the different media. Yo7 could also toss a bunch of pothos plants in the sump.
Could work......

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
With two small pumps. In the main tank you put a pump on the wall near the top so it could never remove more water than can be held in the other box. The second pump returns the water. It goes on the floor of the sump section.
You could put divider walls with small slots or holes to create chambers for the different media. Yo7 could also toss a bunch of pothos plants in the sump.
Could work......
That would definitely be cool, just a little more involved than I want to get on the filtration. My goal is to keep it as simple as possible.

I checked an Aquaclear 110 on the side and it fits perfect, dont even have to use the adjuster at the bottom. comes right back off with intake tube attached and all. I will run a 110 on the bigger tank for sure, possibly cut it down to a 70 for the smaller tank. Plus I have seeded sponges to go in first to get started. If I leave both tanks open for fish it rounds out to be around 120 gallons total.

I mocked up a few pics

20190118_182455.jpg 20190118_232059.jpg 20190118_232119.jpg 20190118_232206_001.jpg

Reactions: TheWolfman

astrocreep

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2018
Tulsa, OK
I think its gonna turn out pretty cool in the end. I thought about encasing them in some wood so you dont see the tanks themselves, and build a cover for the space between them from same wood. Add some LED lights and some real plants in the tanks, i can do that all pretty cheap, tons of pallets at work.

I'm also going to be smart and figure out a clean way to attach some insulation panels to the outside. I need these tanks to stay warm in the winter, it gets pretty cold in my garage. I can put a big piece beneath the tanks themselves, and cut rectangular pieces to fit the outsides. maybe tack them on with a dab of silicon on the corners. Lids will come in the future, dont have a plan yet

Reactions: TheWolfman
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store