Fuge add on for ray tank (build finally started) with pics

ronin_man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
JK47;3349541; said:
Is the planted fuge for nitrate consumption or for additional bio?
mostly nitrate consumption

ozz465

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Ca
Very interesting , i may try something like this .

dennisdeng2002

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Maryland
You should use some duckweed, grows like crazy and great for nitrate consumption. Plus it's a breeze to remove, just net some out once week and you're set.

ronin_man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
dennisdeng2002;3350262; said:
You should use some duckweed, grows like crazy and great for nitrate consumption. Plus it's a breeze to remove, just net some out once week and you're set.
duckweed ? i have never heard of this ?
where is it native to ?

ronin_man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
VampAro69;3350244; said:
So you are using plants to drop the nitrates?

Looks good.
thats the idea, im not sure how well its going to work, and even if it doesnt work very well im happy with adding 20g more to my system

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
ronin_man;3349923; said:
mostly nitrate consumption
Plants consume ammonia and nitrite if present before consuming nitrate. That's why I was asking. If the water from your main tank is plumbed to the fuge before the bio in your sump can convert ammo/nitrite into nitrate, your plants will be consuming far less nitrate because of other food sources being present. Have you considered plumbing the fuge after you sump?

Either way your adding something that is benificial to your system and looks cool too so kudos. ;)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
ronin_man;3350310; said:
duckweed ? i have never heard of this ?
where is it native to ?
Duckweed is a floating plant and would not be a good idea for your fuge. Your fuge has a bulkhead leading directly to your sump and you don't want duckweed in a system that uses an overflow tower or bulkhead like yours. The duckweek can build up on the strainer and cause potentially cause the sump to overflow or get decaying plants in with your biomedia.

I don't want you thinking I am climbing all over your thread :banhim:, I am building the same thing right now and just trying to share some experience from the research I have been doing recently.

sharp tooth

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2005
uk
can i just sugest that you black out your sump.

bacteria like the dark far more then the light, i take it youll have a bright light on the fuge?

i had the same sort of thing running on my ray tank a few years ago.
i had a tank on the wall above the main tank which overflowed back to the main tank.

ronin_man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
sharp tooth;3351865; said:
can i just sugest that you black out your sump.

bacteria like the dark far more then the light, i take it youll have a bright light on the fuge?

i had the same sort of thing running on my ray tank a few years ago.
i had a tank on the wall above the main tank which overflowed back to the main tank.
ya thanx, i already have 1 inch thick styrofoam insulation all around my sump, except for the from and i normally have a black sheet covering everything under the tankso you cant see it, and no light should get in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store