Fuge add on for ray tank (build finally started) with pics

Ophiuchi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2009
Southern California
ronin_man;3352978; said:
ya thanx, i already have 1 inch thick styrofoam insulation all around my sump, except for the from and i normally have a black sheet covering everything under the tankso you cant see it, and no light should get in.

sept the light from the new refuge :)

ronin_man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
the light cant get through the styro and light doesnt bend nor does it reflect off the flat black sheet
so i think im ok.

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
JK47;3350430; said:
Plants consume ammonia and nitrite if present before consuming nitrate. That's why I was asking. If the water from your main tank is plumbed to the fuge before the bio in your sump can convert ammo/nitrite into nitrate, your plants will be consuming far less nitrate because of other food sources being present. Have you considered plumbing the fuge after you sump?

Either way your adding something that is benificial to your system and looks cool too so kudos. ;)

This was my exact first thought when i seen the lay out. I just read thru to see if anyone else caught that as well.

To the OP

It looks to me as if you could change the fuge into the wet sump fairly easily. With the amount of media shown in your sump you should have no problem fitting that into the what is now a fuge.

If it were me i would add 1 panel to the now fuge so that the water has to flow under it and up to the bulk head. This would create a better flow path so that the incoming water has to flow to the bottom and back up to get out. Instead of just flowing across the top couple of inches and out thru the bulk head. I would add the panel just infront of the of the bulk head. Or you could drill 2 more holes and add the new panel in just the corner infront of the bulk head.

After that panel i would think you could just throw the bio media right in and have a good sump to get rid of the ammonia and nitrite. And leave nothing but nitrate for the fuge.

ronin_man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
actually if you take a look at the pics the water can not just flow across the top of the water.
the water has to enter the fuge into the area i made to hold the filter sock.
from there the water has to flow through the small holes i drilled in the plexi panels as the water level is not high enough for the water to just flow over the top of the plexi.

i made it this way so that the water does churn up abit before leaving the fuge.
besides there is a small water pump in the fuge the move the water around a bit anyways.

and to be honest im really not to concerned about the sent up i know alot of people told me before i even started the build to put the fuge after the sump.
but right now i probably to enough water changes that i dont even need to have a sump or fuge.
i agree that if i was making this my final set up that i would definatly do things differently.
but this is only a 150g tank and clearly will not be my rays forever home.
the whole point of me making the sump and the fuge was basically to get my foot in the door to making my own sump and figuring out how they work and whatnot and as for the fuge.
i had an extra 20gal sitting around and this was a great opportunity for me to try drilling glass for the first time. and i figured adding a few plants couldnt hurt.

chronic_

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2009
edmonton AB
Good job on the hole! I've never drilled glass before, I've seen my boss do it at work before on non aquarium related projects, it didn't look fun. Mind you, he wasn't using a proper bit. Just making due with what we had.

nubz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2009
port aransas texas
looks gREAT!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store