Fully cycled 120, what to get???

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
Hey professional pike people. I have a 120 gal aquarium that has been up for a few months, and was wondering what I should get for it. I was, repeat was going for planted discus, but decided my reef is keeping me from doing that, so I want to go with a pike, and suitable tankmates for said pike. I do want the pike to be slender and colorful. I also have beginnning feeding rations for new pike, about 50 various tetras and ghost shrimp. I do like Xingu 1, Actu...., sveni, and Johanna, but I don't know where to go to do good research on them. MFK has the most info, and most of it is people showing with pride. So any and all info would be completely awesome.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Well if you want a slender pike then you do not want a sveni. They are very thick. I would say your best bet would be Xingu 1. That is if you don't want tank mates. The johanna is pretty peacful but again they are not the most slender of the pikes, but they are not quite as thick as the sveni. Johanna and xingu 1 can both be very colorful. Good luck

Chad

gman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2005
new jersey
www.facebook.com
If you want a very slender colorful pike I would say your best bet is Crenicichla acutirostris. You could probably go with a pair in that size tank. They max out at ~13" so size shouldnt be an issue like some of the other pike. I have not kept them personally but I have heard they are a more mellow species toward other fish that are big enough so they will are not a potential meal.

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
120gal tank allows you to have many options. You could practically keep any species of pike in there that you wanted. How many you could keep in the same tank though is the kicker. Mixing the species is never really advised because pikes are highly conspecific, and being a new pike keeper, its best you not try keepin different species together yet till you have learned their behavior and mood signs. If your wanting a pair of pikes in there, you should get them while they are still young, in large groups. 3 pikes minimum is recommended, although 5 to 8 is the best bet...more being definately a good idea but really can get expensive doing so. Pikes like to pick their own mates, so forced pairing doesn't work out too well. Thus the large groups, which allows them to pair up naturally as they grow. Once they reach sexual maturity (differs for different species of pikes) you will have to remove the other pikes and just keep the pair together because the pair will terrorize and quite possibly KILL the other pikes. Like i said, they are highly conspecific and as a general rule of thumb don't like other pikes...period. I've got to go eat some supper, yum yum yum, so I'm gonna end it here but i will be back later to finish off the novel...haha...cheers,
P-nut.

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
Actually. my intentions at first would be to keep only one crenicichla... other tank mates would be like plecos, or smaller cats. Obviously no RTC, or even TSN. I was thinking on getting a Gold Nugget, or Mango Pleco, but did not want it to be Pike poop down the line. Maybe after a few months, I would get a larger tank...... already have four, and getting a Nemo tank for my son soon, won't go to well with the lion:naughty: . The Crenicichla AC........however you spell it, is one that I would relly like, but seem to be hard to find. I do like the Xingu 1, but feel it is too heavy for a little 120 gal. I like my fish to thrive, not just survive. When I get a place a little larger, will build a 1000 gal, and then do larger crenicichla sp. But anyhow, PP thinks he writes novels, my question still stands, if I can find the ac...... what would be acceptable residents with it, I only want 1 or 2 other fish, preferably ones that inhabit different zones. No aros mentioned plz, I think they need much much larger tanks, even for the smaller species.

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
Oh, and prices, and cost on the fishes, cool with me..... $200 a week allowance for my tanks:woot:

My LFS love me. Who else has $800 lighting systems lying around?

GIjoe

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
Austell, Ga.
I have a 7" male tapajos red lying around. Can throw in some 3-5" heckelii (4). All fish are healthy & thriving. I`m in Ga. Can have them shipped fairly reasonable. I`d have to look into
the shipping options. Just figured I`d throw that option at you. HTH.......Keith

P.S. Two of the heckelii have beautiful trailers on them also.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
A lima shovelnose would be good with a pike. Maybe a bullhead cat. They would do good with a pike as long as you kept the temp reasonable for both species. Like 74-75 would be good.

Chad

Dominuslive

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
Iowa
I have a 7" male tapajos red lying around. Can throw in some 3-5" heckelii (4). All fish are healthy & thriving. I`m in Ga. Can have them shipped fairly reasonable. I`d have to look into
the shipping options. Just figured I`d throw that option at you. HTH.......Keith

P.S. Two of the heckelii have beautiful trailers on them also.

SHow the pics. PM me and we can talk shipping and prices.....

HEheheheh<<<<<<<<<I'm a convict

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
But anyhow, PP thinks he writes novels, my question still stands, if I can find the ac...... what would be acceptable residents with it, I only want 1 or 2 other fish, preferably ones that inhabit different zones. No aros mentioned plz, I think they need much much larger tanks, even for the smaller species.
Don't do xingu I...they are a rather aggressive pike cichlid, especially once they become subadults...which was the part i wasn't to yet in my novel. There are several groups of pikes, Lugubris, Saxatilis, Reticulatus, Acutirostris, and the dwarfs. I'm sure there are more groups, but those are the main ones. Pikes of the Lugubris group go through one to two color changes as the mature. There is the juv. coloration, the subadult, and the adult. Crenicichla sp. 'xingu I' is a member of the Lugubris group of pikes. The juv. you get will look NOTHING like the adult. Males are olive drab to brown, females are reddish to pink with darker ends. Cool looking. Problem is they get more aggressive as they mature. As juv. they are pretty laid back, but as they near the next color change into subadult, they start gettin more aggressive. This is known as the 'teenage' stage. Generally don't grow out of this. Point in case, you can't judge a pike by its color or attitude as a juv....as they are gonna change. Crenicichla sp. 'xingu I' are great pikes, I had a pair for quite some time, but for what your wanting to do, i suggest against it.

With Crenicichla acutirostris there are tons of options of tank mates because they are a more laid back pike cichlid. What I was reallly gonna suggest though was either get Crenicichla percna or Crenicichla vittata. Both are relatively rare pikes and not many people have them. You were saying that you want a pike that not many people have. There ya go. Both are relatively laid back pikes as well, stay slender, and are unique. Both are awesome species of pikes as well. Rapps has some vittata right now that are PERFECTLY priced, they are small, so pickin tank mates would be easy. PLUS you could get other fish directly from Rapps to go in on the shipment WITH your pike that would make for a totally awesome set up...;). Heres a list of a tank that would look awesome and Rapps currently has all these fish...;)

1 Crenicichla vittata (personally i would get more of these, but since you only want one we'll keep it at that)
1 Caquetaia spectabile (4 to 4.5")
1 Hoplarchus psittacus ( the only other cichlid i love as much as pikes...;) )
3 Satanoperca leucosticta (4 to 5")

They are all small, and will gradually grow up into really nice, show piece cichlids. They should all get along relatively well, especially in a tank of your size, their colors will compliment each other, as well as tank distrubution. As far as catfish go, there are several options open to you that way as well. Spotted Shovelnose get relatively large, but still relatively small. Lima shovelnose. Megalordoras sp. and your Loricardae. Go for the larger L #'s like the royals and so on. They are large and hard to swallow, even at small sizes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store