fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Rescued this porthole/hoplo 4 days ago. Came with the fungus. I have it in a 10g and have been dosing paraguard. Looks like it is getting worse. Other meds I might try?
3 days agoPXL_20220413_013951618.jpg
Today
PXL_20220415_233819360~2.jpgPXL_20220415_233815582~2.jpg

PXL_20220413_013655289~2.jpg

Attachments

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Fungus on both sides? That’s rough.

If it were my fish, I would place it in a hanging mesh box within the tank, so that it would be easy to handle the fish by lifting the box without the stress of chasing the fish each time. Then I would continue the treatment as you are doing, but in addition, I would apply a topical fungicide onto the affected localized places (fins), once a day or as deemed necessary. I believe the antibiotic + the localized topical attack might do the trick. In any case, nothing to lose.
I have made one such hanging box using mesh cloth covering a plastic coated wire frame, allowing to hang from the aquarium edge. I have used it for breeding and for raising fry.
Good luck. Looks like a nice fish.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
How is the paraguard? I'd never try a medication that doesn't disclose its ingredients. There is a big difference between bacteria and fungal issues. Malachite Green for example is too toxic and would be bad to use here.

The suggestion of topical application directly on the infection site is excellent advice. Use undiluted out of water on the affected area so less disruption of bio filtration, less poison (medication) and less cost. Usually acriflavine (most anti fungal medication) is good, hold fish tail down so gravity runs away from gills. In this situation, so close to gills, I would use betadine gel ointment/cream instead- (not the liquid) which is 10% povidine Iodine and suitable for bacterial, viral and fungal infections. Dab long enough to deeply stain the fungal hyphae.

Would not use a confining net as this would stress the fish too much. 10 gallon tank is easy to catch out. Keep tank dark - no feed - etc etc. I'm sure you have treated sick fish before.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
How is the paraguard? I'd never try a medication that doesn't disclose its ingredients. There is a big difference between bacteria and fungal issues. Malachite Green for example is too toxic and would be bad to use here.

The suggestion of topical application directly on the infection site is excellent advice. Use undiluted out of water on the affected area so less disruption of bio filtration, less poison (medication) and less cost. Usually acriflavine (most anti fungal medication) is good, hold fish tail down so gravity runs away from gills. In this situation, so close to gills, I would use betadine gel ointment/cream instead- (not the liquid) which is 10% povidine Iodine and suitable for bacterial, viral and fungal infections. Dab long enough to deeply stain the fungal hyphae.

Would not use a confining net as this would stress the fish too much. 10 gallon tank is easy to catch out. Keep tank dark - no feed - etc etc. I'm sure you have treated sick fish before.
Moved to polyguard and now fritz maracyn. I have been feeding very lite. Tank is dark. Is the betadine gel human use bacitracin?
I also have kanaplex. Will be looking for methblue today.

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
Not sure why you are using antibiotics or switching antibiotics before the full course completes (you will build resistant bacteria strains quickly).

Methylene blue is considered very weak due to developed resistance/over use. It stains silicon seams badly and is getting banned for carcinogenic reasons but as this fungus doesn't appear too bad, I'm sure the fish will do fine whatever you use.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
On day 5 of 2nd round of maracyn. Not sure that it is being effective. Also, there's yellowish detritus in tank, I'm not sure if it's puss discharge or poo. Pic's this evening.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I think this fellow tried snuggling a heaterPXL_20220506_234445293.jpgPXL_20220506_234433262.jpg

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Treatment is now 6tbsp kosher salt, API E. M. Erythromycin and Fin and Body Cure.
Temp is 75

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
It was recommended that I try dabbing meth blue directly on the fungus so for now I have a blue pom pom catPXL_20220605_235200587.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store