Fuscotainiatus and Macrostoma....is there a difference.

scott g

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
U.S.A.
Can anybody out there tell me the difference between a T. Macrostoma and a N. Fuscotainatus. I mean they are basically the same color, size, shape and temperment. What gives?

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
There is a species difference. Other than that like you said there isn't much differnce.

The main difference is where you find them in the lake and how they behave in the lake if you read some of ad konnings books. Another is the way their mouths are shaped.

Another difference is that fusco's are more common than the tyrannochromis. Tyrannochromis tend to be more colorful IMO and they are more of a solid blue and yellow vs the blue and red of the fuscos. I have also found that they are less agressive than fuscos and I find the tyrannochromis females more appealing too.

http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/picture.php?p=1275
http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/picture.php?p=1555

Also trannochromis tend to cost more.

As far as buying one it is all a persons preference on what they want to keep and how much they want to spend.

Just my 2 cents

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
double post

scott g

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
U.S.A.
What do you mean a different species Honda? I mean they are both Haps. so what do you mean. I mean aren't they basically the same fish? They kind of remind me of Polystigmas and Livingstonies, they both basically look and act the same.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
They are different in that fuscos are part of the nimbochromis group and the macrostomas are part of the tyrannochromis group. I think species was the wrong word to use. Sorry if I confused you, that is what I ment.

scott g

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
U.S.A.
I figured that was what you must have meant. I like the Macrostomas but I've never seen any of them in the public for sale.

Honda12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2006
Michigan
For me to get my tyrannochromis nigriventors I had to order them on the internet and they weren't cheap either. It cost me $210 for a trio.

scott g

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
U.S.A.
That's alot of money for a trio but it's worth it as long as you like them.

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
Macrostoma are a lot larger than Fusco's. Fusco's tend to have more colour variation than the Macrostoma. Both are found in the intermediate zone with the Macrostoma also freqeunting the areas over shollow rocks. The colouring of the respective females is vastly different. The Macrostoma female looks quite interesting from a colour perspective.
:naughty: :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup:

scott g

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
U.S.A.
I thought that they were only a few inches bigger?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store