London UK
mmmmm why are the aros sooooo big yet it has taken until now to tag them

most aros are tagged at 5-6inch

castbug

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2006
Singapore
They are bought from a farm. Most farm's practice is only to tag fishes when they are going to be sold. Hence, they are only tagged now.

castbug

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2006
Singapore
T1KARMANN;1298001; said:
mmmmm why are the aros sooooo big yet it has taken until now to tag them

most aros are tagged at 5-6inch
They are tagged at 5-6 inch because thats the most sellable size and hence sold the fastest.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
mmmm intresting

i thought all young aro had to be tagged

even farms adults are tagged thats how they know which adults the fry comes from the adults must be tagged thats what makes them F2 and beyound

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
i see people on arofanatics ask the same ? as me why the aros are being tagged at such a big size

im intrested to learn something new please share :D

castbug

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2006
Singapore
T1KARMANN;1298675; said:
i see people on arofanatics ask the same ? as me why the aros are being tagged at such a big size

im intrested to learn something new please share :D
Like i mentioned. No farmer will waste his time tagging all his fish at 5 to 6 inches. The tags are only put in just before they are sold. These fishes were only recently sold to me. Therefor the tag was just put in. Different farms have different practices, not all will tag their fish at 5-6 inches. Brooders are only tagged because of regulations.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
castbug;1299359; said:
Like i mentioned. No farmer will waste his time tagging all his fish at 5 to 6 inches. The tags are only put in just before they are sold. These fishes were only recently sold to me. Therefor the tag was just put in. Different farms have different practices, not all will tag their fish at 5-6 inches. Brooders are only tagged because of regulations.
intresting but if the farm has lots of untagged aros how does the law know that all the fish in the breeding stock is not wild caught fish ?

castbug

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2006
Singapore
T1KARMANN;1300146; said:
intresting but if the farm has lots of untagged aros how does the law know that all the fish in the breeding stock is not wild caught fish ?
Thats why all brooders are tagged. Anyway, most untagged aros come from fish farms which don't have cities license to tag. U can't find any of them in local rivers etc. Its more easy to get them from an unlicensed farm. And all farms have to tag their brooders for AVA inspection. its quite complicated for me to explain here, but there is a special set of rules for them to follow. As for fry, no farm tags all their fishes at 5-6 inches. They are only tagged before they sold, whether it is 5-6 inch, 10 inch, 14 inches or 18 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store