Fx6 cleaning question

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
I think hands down the ehiem 2262 is a better filter.
I wouldn't say the 2262 is necessarily "better" (and remember I have one of those as well)but there may be applications where it seems more the "best fit" due to it's capacity for more bio capacity, and if using sand.

I will also admit that the 2262 pump on top design is better protected from sand but then again, I don't use sand, or extremely fine gravel, and recommend others don't as well regardless of what filter you use, but especially with FX's or most HOB filters.

One must also admit to the EASE of priming with an FX series(fill it halfway, plug in). A 2262/2217/2215/2213 cant evacuate air /PRIME on it's own, and although I don't have trouble priming any of them, a lot of new unexperienced users do.

That said, a 2262 is a lot more work to clean than a FX series canister, and I guarantee the average aquariest is gonna wait even longer between maintenance/cleaning than with an FX series.

Both a great filters in their own right as long as you accept the pros and cons of each.

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
Just cleaned mine out last friday. The side sponges weren't as dirty as I thought they would be but that polishing pad on the bottom was CAKED. Only ran it for about a month. I think that should be a fairly good maintenance schedule for it.

It's your call, but I personally don't recommend using the fine white or blue polishing pads, unless you MAKE SURE you service your filter very often, as it ends up causing pump cavitation, and could potentially lessen pump/impeller life....

YMMV

Reactions: GamerChick5567

DeathStalker

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2015
United States
I got some of the white pads, but have not used them. I went from using two blues (one each on two trays) to just using one.

It's possible that it could be considered overstocked, but not overfed (I don't use much pellet food, mostly Nightcrawlers) - worms are almost always gone within a few hours. For pellet food, I use OmegaOne.

I thought about getting the Eheim, but the sheer flow volume and amount of sponges in the FX6 made me go with it, but I do like the top pump design better (I use medium sand and it does get sucked in more than I'd like).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store