Fx6 sponges

Americancichlidsaredabest

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
How often do you guys replace the sponges and media in your fx4 and 6s? I was cleaning mine today and was wondering if I’m going to have to replace them at some point or if I just consistently clean them they’ll last for a while.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
How often do you guys replace the sponges and media in your fx4 and 6s? I was cleaning mine today and was wondering if I’m going to have to replace them at some point or if I just consistently clean them they’ll last for a while.
I never owned a FX4 or FX6 but quite sure sponge is similar to most.
I personally would change out only if I noticed it physically getting soft and starting to deteriorate.

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
My fx6 sponges date from 2017, when I purchased a tank including the filter, as used for two years. I have not noticed any deterioration in the sponges during that time (7 years with me + possibly 2 more). I have some original Aquaclear 110 sponges (also by Fluval), which are several years old, but have had to replace several.

Americancichlidsaredabest

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2022
I never owned a FX4 or FX6 but quite sure sponge is similar to most.
I personally would change out only if I noticed it physically getting soft and starting to deteriorate.
Thank you. I haven’t noticed it deteriorating yet.
My fx6 sponges date from 2017, when I purchased a tank including the filter, as used for two years. I have not noticed any deterioration in the sponges during that time (7 years with me + possibly 2 more). I have some original Aquaclear 110 sponges (also by Fluval), which are several years old, but have had to replace several.
Thank you for the info I hope mine last that long. If they do end up failing any ideas on where I could get new ones?

Reactions: tlindsey

ken31cay

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2022
Cayman Islands
If you're talking about the sponges that form a ring inside of the baskets, I haven't seen that these sponges deteriorate. I've had FX6's and one FX4 for years and for cleaning I squeeze/rinse them in tank water periodically. Just don't be too rough with them and they should last a long time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store