Gar Identification - Post your Gar to be ID'd HERE!!

John2708

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
nottinghamshire,uk
after you guys id my last gar as an aligator i got in touch with the online store i got it off who offered to take it back and replace it with a spotted gar well here he is can you guys id him for me i personaly think he looks like a mini version of the one i just got rid of thanks for your help guy in advance

tommy k

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2010
chicago
I'm not 100% on this but I'm pretty sure it's a Florida gar with a faded pattern

John2708

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
nottinghamshire,uk
im getting mixed message on this forum you guys who i tend to listen to the most say florida on another forum there saying aligator gar i realy hope it is florida gar cheers for the replys

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
check out the sites stated in post 1 as well. it's 100% NOT a gator gar

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
John2708;4808941; said:
im getting mixed message on this forum you guys who i tend to listen to the most say florida on another forum there saying aligator gar i realy hope it is florida gar cheers for the replys
not sure what the other forum is (i'm curious in case you are willing to share the name) but they have no idea what they are talking about in terms of gar ID. this is most definitely not an alligator gar. most signs point to Florida gar here...and one that needs to be fed well to catch up on growth (note the head is slightly disproportionately larger than the body).

it's an outside possibility you have a shortnose gar, but that could just be due to the washed out pattern and proportions being off. either way, not a gator gar, and 99% likely a FLG. good luck--
--solomon

Piscine

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Northwestern Louisiana
I've gone through every ID thread, and I still have no earthly idea on this one. Everything screams spotted to me, but I thought I'd post it anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store