Gar Identification - Post your Gar to be ID'd HERE!!

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
it could be a spotted gar! where did you buy it and how big is it?

joe00

Ghost Shrimp
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Rockford, IL
It was collected from a location where Spotted, Shortnose, and Longnose Gar all live together. I posted some pictures of their growth when they were fairly small last year. Most thought they were a group of Longnose and Spotted Gar. Most of that group turned out to be Shortnose Gar with a typical plain pattern besides a little spotting towards their tail. A few turned out different from the rest and each other(I'll try to get some photos of the other strange looking ones soon). I think this one has a Shortnose build to its body, but it definitely differs from the rest of my Shortnose from the same place.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
It was collected from a location where Spotted, Shortnose, and Longnose Gar all live together. I posted some pictures of their growth when they were fairly small last year. Most thought they were a group of Longnose and Spotted Gar. Most of that group turned out to be Shortnose Gar with a typical plain pattern besides a little spotting towards their tail. A few turned out different from the rest and each other(I'll try to get some photos of the other strange looking ones soon). I think this one has a Shortnose build to its body, but it definitely differs from the rest of my Shortnose from the same place.
the snout is kinda thin and long for a short nose! we need some professional to look at these!

joe00

Ghost Shrimp
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Rockford, IL
Thanks for the ID Richard! Any theories behind why some gars keep their juvenile pattern/coloration for an extended time? The other fish from this group have lost or never had such a dark stripe. The fish that were "striped" lost that quite some time ago. The fish pictured isn't the smallest of the group and they have all been raised together (same diet, substrate, water conditions, etc).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store