Gar is a gonner soon

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
No, some kind of pulp(?) food that gets fed to the fish via a very thin tube..Am trying to remember where I read it and how it was done....may have been in relation to forced medication...

Deathcurl

BOO!!!
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
NYC
Hmm...i second the notion that it looks like a florida gar.

JONP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2007
texas
I agree, gars will sit and be extremely lethargic...he'll come back when he is truly hungary

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
It is a Florida.... thats really the only Gar Tankbuster ever said he had...I know in the start of this he said Tropical, which confused me for a bit also but it was pretty much obvious a bit back he was discussing his Florida.

On to the fish:
Man I'm still not sure what to tell you. The fish is not really looking like it is getting better and it seems to just be persisting. IMHO I think it is time to put it to rest. It clearly is surviving but what is its quality of life? It is clearly paralyzed and can not function. I'm really not totally shocked it has managed to exist this long as I've seen gar do this. You have to look at the animals quality of life though. It is not feeding and has not for months and is just hanging on due to the fact it does not move...

I think you need to think seriously about putting this fish down and ending it's prolonged problems.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
i agree. this fish clearly has a serious problem and im sure it would be the best thing for the fish to just end it. im really sorry to hear about your fish. we were all hoping it would pull through.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Well thanks for all the positive statements and all the help. I think about doing the freezer thing to him so he will not suffer but when I go to his tank it gets harder to do because I hope he will pull through, but it is just like pulling the plug on someone who is in a vegatative state. It reall is best to put him down I guess. Does anyone know of a better way than to put him in a bag in the freezer? Thanks.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
There's an american guy, a famous discus breeder, who advocates an awfull way, but which he swears is immediate and painless.
You pick the fish up, hold it in your palm and throw it hard at the floor..

I am can give you the guys name, if you want...will go and search for the book.:(

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
For a gar the freezer method is best..These fish as you have experienced are very tenacious and really tend to cling to life a bit harder than most fish.

As said a long time back I'm really empathetic to your plight here and I'm sorry for the loss of your gar.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Polypterus;759267; said:
For a gar the freezer method is best..These fish as you have experienced are very tenacious and really tend to cling to life a bit harder than most fish.

As said a long time back I'm really empathetic to your plight here and I'm sorry for the loss of your gar.
Thanks man, and I think I will go with the freezer idea, just seems the least painful on the fish and me. Thanks everyone who posted in this thread. I am going to net him right now and put the gar down the freezer way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store