Gatf status.....

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Thanks my man..i try my best to keep him going. Presently he is at or very close to 30". I use my blk aro as reference and he the same in length as him. Has become my all time achievement to have a gatf reach this size in captivity. However i did create the tank and its inhabitants with him in mind to aid in his survivability.

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
what kind of filtration do you have on this tank?
Two overhead wet/dry tubs loaded with bioballs and some lava rock. The are ran by a pr of dc pumps that drain the water into the drip plate/floss area then fall over the bio media and then cascading back into the tank. I wanted to create bio towers but since the tank is 4 ft tall i needed to biuld stands for the filters to sit upon and alow them to drain back by gravity. I change out the floss every 7 to 10 days on both filters. I run a uv as well but its purpose is for water clarity. I also have a drip system that adds 5 gals per hr 24/7. The overspill from the tank runs into the bushes. I also invert this drain when doing the occasional water change by adding on a 14" pvc pipe. Once it reaches the end of the pipe it cuts off and i use the drip system to refill the tank minus using the emitter to refill the tank quickly. Once its filled back up i attach the emitter again and leave it be.

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
What kind of floss do you use? I want to start using floss instead of filter sock and was looking for some economical options.
U can get it from an art n craft store but i get it from a wholesaler but Michaels is fine. U want something not to dense but not to soft. Something in bw.

Reactions: sunnysjourney

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
Two overhead wet/dry tubs loaded with bioballs and some lava rock. The are ran by a pr of dc pumps that drain the water into the drip plate/floss area then fall over the bio media and then cascading back into the tank. I wanted to create bio towers but since the tank is 4 ft tall i needed to biuld stands for the filters to sit upon and alow them to drain back by gravity. I change out the floss every 7 to 10 days on both filters. I run a uv as well but its purpose is for water clarity. I also have a drip system that adds 5 gals per hr 24/7. The overspill from the tank runs into the bushes. I also invert this drain when doing the occasional water change by adding on a 14" pvc pipe. Once it reaches the end of the pipe it cuts off and i use the drip system to refill the tank minus using the emitter to refill the tank quickly. Once its filled back up i attach the emitter again and leave it be.
Thanks for the detailed response. Where did you purchase the tank from?

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Thanks for the detailed response. Where did you purchase the tank from?
There is a biulder in miami,fl called dolphin fiberglass. They biuld all kinds of shapes and sizes. If you google that name you will find their website and products in detail.

Reactions: Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
There is a biulder in miami,fl called dolphin fiberglass. They biuld all kinds of shapes and sizes. If you google that name you will find their website and products in detail.
I can vouch for Dolphin. They're great people and super helpful. The only reason I didn't go with them was because at the size of tank I could fit in my house, it was less expensive to just go with glass.

Reactions: fishtankphil

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
I can vouch for Dolphin. They're great people and super helpful. The only reason I didn't go with them was because at the size of tank I could fit in my house, it was less expensive to just go with glass.
Yes they are a very good company and biulder!

Reactions: Chicxulub
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store