gauchua question

superkimchiman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2005
Gang Nam, South Korea
i knoe many ppl have successfully been able to breed gachuas. i've seen few of them here.

aniwaise i was wondering how can one determine the sex of the gauchua.
also how big the tank need to be to breed and any tricks?

Thanks all

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
Gender Differences
The breeding of this mouthbrooders is relatively easy, provided one has a harmonizing couple. Pairing should be allowed to occur naturally within a group, otherwise complications might arise as the sey of the fish is often difficult to determine. During breeding season, females are fuller than the males because of the spawn. The sex differences of channa spec. 'Assam' can be determined relatively well by comparing the individual from bird's eye view. The male' s head is broader, especially in the gill area. The female's body color contains more red and her fins are not as blue as the male's. Determining the sex of the fish by comparing head forms also works well for channa bleheri. I suspect the same to be true for channa orientalis, and channa gachua, as well as for their close relatives. 4

courtesy of snakeheads.org

cSpecAssamDifferentSexes300dpi075.jpg

baloo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2005
england
Gender Differences
The breeding of this mouthbrooders is relatively easy, provided one has a harmonizing couple. Pairing should be allowed to occur naturally within a group, otherwise complications might arise as the sey of the fish is often difficult to determine. During breeding season, females are fuller than the males because of the spawn. The sex differences of channa spec. 'Assam' can be determined relatively well by comparing the individual from bird's eye view. The male' s head is broader, especially in the gill area. The female's body color contains more red and her fins are not as blue as the male's. Determining the sex of the fish by comparing head forms also works well for channa bleheri. I suspect the same to be true for channa orientalis, and channa gachua, as well as for their close relatives. 4

courtesy of snakeheads.org

firstly i do disaprove of reusing other ppls pictures and putting the monsterfish logo on it make it even worse. matthias would not be happy if he found out as would the org.

2ndly these are pictures that show how to sex channa spec. assam.
you can not apply this to channa gachua.
with aurantimaculata it is exactly the other way round then with spec. assam
you best sex gachua just before or during spawning which leaves you only one option. get a load of young and let nature take its course. pairs of snakeheads best find themselfs in a small group. it seems to insure better breeding success.

Euge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Hong Kong
my bad baloo i was merely copying and pasting i even said it was courtsey of sh.org. My apologies. I just thought it would save superkimchiman sometime.

SKM he's ok. looks like a turd.. but breathing..

skinless

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2005
Edmonton, CAN
good luck super. hope it works out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store