Gecko euthanasia

Saterus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
Minnesota
I have a rescue gecko, it is on the brink of death and there are no herp vets around.
I've tried force feeding, I've kept mealworms constantly available and they've even turned to beetles in the cage at this point. Crickets used to work but she stopped eating those about 6 months ago.
She is so at the the point of skin and bone I had to touch her to see if she was alive.

I know some people freeze them but I want her to suffer as little as possible.
I don't know what to do but I made sure she was in a comfortable spot and she moves slightily as she deteriorates.

What do I do? what is the best thing for her especially since it is at night and there are no vets available. I can't stand to see her suffer anymore.

What would a vet do? What options do I have?

I read from one that cutting off the head is humane but I can't and I don't think I could do that even if it is, which I don't think is true.

She is dying, she can't\won't eat and she has deteriorated rapidly in the last 2 weeks.

What should I do?!

Saterus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
Minnesota
Okay, I'm reading if you put them in the fridge for a while they go into a cold coma, them you can freeze them fairly painlessly..

I just want this poor gecko to die the least painful it can. I'll have my ****ing neighbor run it over with their truck if I have to.

Saterus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
Minnesota
It kills me to see her like this though. She still drinks water, I've been trying to find a solution for a long time then I was in the hospital for half the last month and I came back and she was sooooo much worse.
She got a lot better when I first got her her but she has been going downhill for months.
I thought maybe she was just a lot older than I thought but she clibs, she hunts food then doesn't eat it, if I dangle it in front of her or give her crippled crickets she follows them then gives up. I keep taking them out because I'm afraid of them chewing on her.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
my guess (and thats all it is) ..you are suffering more watching the animal die than it is suffering... sounds like its not really in pain ...if it was me I WOULD TRY TO KEEP IT ALIVE A WHILE LONGER...good luck ..I hope it works out for you and your gecko:)

Kollection

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
West Coast
Putting it in the freezer might be the best way. It won't be a real quick way to euthanize it but probably the least painful

KrazEDesigns

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
Canada
With fish you can use clove oil to humanely euthanize, but I don't know if this is something that can be done with a gecko; I'd highly recommend doing some research (AKA Google) to find a humane method.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
She could be suffering from an impaction. You can try letting her sit in tub of shallow warm water for about 20 minutes, twice a day. If that's the problem it may help, plus it will keep her hydrated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store