'Geophagus' sp. "Red Bahia"

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
Excuse the poor photos. You can reference the first post to get an idea of their color. They'r only bigger and bolder now.
The male spawns regularly with two females. Here's the latest batch.
uploadfromtaptalk1337375961772.jpguploadfromtaptalk1337375930054.jpg

Sent from my LG-MS910 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

UMBEEKING

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2008
REALM OF THE UMBEE
These are stunning fish! geophagus brasiliensis are my favorite Geophagus. Now to see this red variant even more so now. Do these obtain a nuchal hump like the regular Brasiliensis?

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
These are stunning fish! geophagus brasiliensis are my favorite Geophagus. Now to see this red variant even more so now. Do these obtain a nuchal hump like the regular Brasiliensis?
I'm hoping his head pops with age but who knows. His head does like it wants to swell at times for sure though.
I've seen lots of brasiliensis around over the years and have to say that this variant is one of the most striking but not the biggest by a long shot. Maybe these guys are not as prone to developing nuchal jumps as others.
There is also some question as to whether these are the original 'bahia reds' or not (or so I've read). There are a bunch of distinct variants out there and these that originated from Ken Davis look nothing like this photo of a male 'bahia red' from Jeff Rapps.
uploadfromtaptalk1337454808887.jpg
This could be due to lighting or mood of course but the chances are slim imo. Supposedly they're found in brackish water along the coast of Bahia so one could assume that there's a ton of diversity within the species as a result of it being so adaptable. I wish I knew more but maybe jgentry can drop some knowledge;)

UMBEEKING

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2008
REALM OF THE UMBEE
I'm hoping his head pops with age but who knows. His head does like it wants to swell at times for sure though.
I've seen lots of brasiliensis around over the years and have to say that this variant is one of the most striking but not the biggest by a long shot. Maybe these guys are not as prone to developing nuchal jumps as others.
There is also some question as to whether these are the original 'bahia reds' or not (or so I've read). There are a bunch of distinct variants out there and these that originated from Ken Davis look nothing like this photo of a male 'bahia red' from Jeff Rapps.
View attachment 783149
This could be due to lighting or mood of course but the chances are slim imo. Supposedly they're found in brackish water along the coast of Bahia so one could assume that there's a ton of diversity within the species as a result of it being so adaptable. I wish I knew more but maybe jgentry can drop some knowledge;)

Nuchal Hump or not Im sold on these. They are simply breath taking!!! Im going to have to set up a tank for these. Thanks for showing these man:) I found this video on you tube do you think its the same variant or another? It says Geophagus Brasilienses but it has the reds on the fins your fish posses. If so I want them even more so.

[YT]NRzSLLCMR1c[/YT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store