Geophagus spc. "red bahia"

Joeygee23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2009
Hartford, CT
Anyone else keeping these? I wouold like to see a picture of an adult male. My alpha male is getting some red but I just don't see him turning out like Jeff Rapps phot. Please share some pics with me if you have them.

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
I have these. Beautiful fish! I'll post pics when I get a chance. Google them and you'll find some photos that look more like yours. The fish in Jeff's photo gallery has the fish looking whitish. Don't know how accurate of a representation that is but mine have more of a yellow base color.
Where did you get yours btw?

Joeygee23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2009
Hartford, CT
Ed I look forward to seeing your pics. I got my at the LFS. Getting red around mouth and unpaired fins. sides are getting a bulish pearl.

Joeygee23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2009
Hartford, CT
still waiting ed! lol!

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
here ya go-

The male is about 4". If yours look like mine then I see what you're saying about the comparison between this fish and the specimen in the tuic photo. Mine are still small considering the fact that they max out at over 10" so I guess we'll have to wait and see. Beautiful fish either way imo.

Joeygee23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2009
Hartford, CT
Well that pretty much eliminates any inkling I might of had about getting rid of them. Patience is a virtue. Those are gorgeous!

flowerpower

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2007
NY
Joey, definitely a keeper. As far as I know, not too many people have this brasiliensis- like species. How big are yours now? They're capable of spawning at 2.5-3" so you should start to see some courting behavior at that size. That's also the size when males were distinguishable from females in my group.
Now, who else has something to share about this species?

dent20

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Iowa
Great looking fish. I had one for quite sometime, but it died last year. I've been debating whether to get another since then.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I have a pair (in with the diadema I got from Ed in a 125 ;) )...

The male is close to 7", the female's probably only 3" or so. They're definitely a brasiliensis-type but I've found them to be a lot less aggressive than regular brasiliensis...or another one I got from Scott Arney called "Bahia Blue"...

I'd assume that they're like brasiliensis and they'll get Hole in the Head in dirty water.

I'll also have a brasiliensis-type called Geo. sp. "Sao Paulo". Not to derail but anyone keep these? Mine spawned at 3" or so.

Matt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store