Geophagus Sveni - first breeding

Rohaus

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2018
My Geophagus Sveni group has a pair that finally spawned a couple days ago. Unfortunately, fungus took over within 2 days and took most of the eggs. The odd thing was that some of the good eggs that I could clearly see had been fertilized, the female ended up taking those into her mouth and eventually either ate them or spit them out and lost total interest.

I have watched some videos of egg laying cichlids and got to thinking that maybe the next time they spawn I would take the eggs out and set them up in their own grow out tank with the proper bubbler blowing air just over the surface of the eggs and not directly on them, just to get some flow over the eggs. I did notice that the female, though she was protective over the eggs, wasn't fanning the eggs as much as I think she should. They are probably still learning the ropes since they are new at it.

Anyways, I was hoping for some ideas and suggestions on removing the eggs after being fertilized. For instance, how long should I wait to do it?

Here is the video I took of them the first time. It was cool to watch.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If you want to remove some eggs next time you only need to wait till they are finished spawning and you’ve given the male time to fertilize them.
Since they are new and this was the first attempt, I would only take half.
Leaving half for them to practice on.
It lets them learn and it maximize the chances at least some survive.

Congrats on the pair though they are gorgeous.
I’m currently growing out some Winemilleri but I have a ways to go mine are only two inches or so.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I suggest placing a sponge filter in your sump or aquarium to be seeded. Also would purchase Methylen Blue. I personally used Methylen Blue to protect fertile eggs from fungus.

Reactions: Matteus and BIG-G

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I suggest placing a sponge filter in your sump or aquarium to be seeded. Also would purchase Methylen Blue. I personally used Methylen Blue to protect fertile eggs from fungus.
That’s a good idea about pre seeding the sponge.
I have used MB it does help prevent fungus.

have also used oak, mulberry and almond leaves to help with that problem.
It’s more gentle I think.
But you gotta be ready and have the tank set up ahead of the spawn so the leaves have time to soak a while in the fry tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rohaus

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2018
If you want to remove some eggs next time you only need to wait till they are finished spawning and you’ve given the male time to fertilize them.
Since they are new and this was the first attempt, I would only take half.
Leaving half for them to practice on.
It lets them learn and it maximize the chances at least some survive.

Congrats on the pair though they are gorgeous.
I’m currently growing out some Winemilleri but I have a ways to go mine are only two inches or so.
I have a few geophagus winemilleri that I purchased from Jeff Rapps late 2018. One of my observations regarding my Winemilleri compared to my Sveni is that they are not the voracious eaters that the Sveni are AND as such they grow at a much slower rate as compared to my Geo. Sveni.

Rohaus

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2018
That’s a good idea about pre seeding the sponge.
I have used MB it does help prevent fungus.

have also used oak, mulberry and almond leaves to help with that problem.
It’s more gentle I think.
But you gotta be ready and have the tank set up ahead of the spawn so the leaves have time to soak a while in the fry tank.
I have a sponge filter all ready to go... been seeding it for months actually just in case... never know when you need a hospital tank setup immediately for instance.

As for your comment regarding oak and almond leaves... what is the reasoning behind using those? make the water more acidic thus lowering the chances of fungus? I am really curious.

Thank you,

Reactions: BIG-G

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I have a sponge filter all ready to go... been seeding it for months actually just in case... never know when you need a hospital tank setup immediately for instance.

As for your comment regarding oak and almond leaves... what is the reasoning behind using those? make the water more acidic thus lowering the chances of fungus? I am really curious.

Thank you,
There is some evidence that leaves have effect on fungus making it harder for it to spread and take hold.
I have experimented with it a couple of times with coryadoras spawns.
I lost several spawns to fungus so I tried placing some leaves in the fry tank and the fungus problem went away, so from then on I always add a few leaves just as a precaution.

There has been discussion about the topic before.
I will see if I can find some of the threads.

Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 has some experience with adding leaves to his tanks maybe he can shed more light on this subject

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I found this. I know there are more information on this. I will see what i can find.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Op, what is your pH?
Not all soft water species eggs will have a high fert rate if your pH is to high. I doubt this is the main reason in your case but still worth consideration.
Leaves do have antibacterial qualities. Some fish importers add catappa leaves with delicate soft water fish, prone to fungus and bacterial infections.
I have also experienced higher success rates breeding soft water species with the addition of leaf litter.
It's not just an old wives tale. Leaves really can make a difference.
I would slowly add a generous amount of oak or catappa leaves. These tend to hold the most tannins and are probably your best bet for success.

Reactions: BIG-G
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store