Get Pond Fish To Live In Tanks

SpeedOfPain

Feeder Fish
Jul 23, 2015
Over the last few weeks me and a friend have been getting massive amounts of pond fish. Mostly bass and bluegills. Few cats and bowfins.

The cats and bowfins we have had no issues at all. My tanks are well established and have had other fish in them for a very long time with no issues ever for the tanks.

The bass and bluegills are being a bit of an issue. We are loosing about 98% of them. Within 24 hours they will get a white cotton growth on them or like just balls of hard white mass on their body and fins. Is keeping these fish just impossible in a home aquarium? The tanks are 125g and 300g. Most of the fish have been in the 1-4 inch range. We got about 50 baby bluegills today in a trap and about all of them are covered in the white cotton. All are less than 3/4 inch.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It sounds like they have come down with fungus infections.
Keeping such fish in aquariums is not common but also not unheard of. Check your water parameters and make sure the tanks are well oxygenated.

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Yellacat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2017
The bottom two are columnaris.... the top three are a bacterial infection. I'm treating the fish in the top three with kanaplex right now and it seems to be working

Yellacat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2017
I catch mine from the rivers. I think it stresses them out a lot and causes them to get infected easier

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store