Gettin into salwater

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
Hey guys I've lived in Jamaica most my life and have always been surrounded by fish and have always wanted a fish tank so when I moved to Boston I never get to see all these exotic corals and fish as I would of when I just walk out my door and see all these beautiful fish the only place I get to see salwater fish and corals are at my lfs and it brings soooo much memories and I got a freshwater 40 g with African cichlids but I still want a saltwater because it just brings me so much joy so what I'm asking of you guys is EVERYTHING I need to know about salwater and everything I would need to set up a 20g salwater tank I have a empty tank and a heater so if you guys can tell me what I need and how much those cost it will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
I know this is an old thread but i'm really curious myself about the differences between a fresh water and a salt water setup. I know salt water needs a protein skimmer but what else is different?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I know this is an old thread but i'm really curious myself about the differences between a fresh water and a salt water setup. I know salt water needs a protein skimmer but what else is different?

Saltwater fish cost more. You have to check salinity level weekly due to evaporation. Research prior to setup and compatibility then you'll be fine.

Reactions: flukeone

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
For the most part filtration equipment is the same.
Aside from protein skimming, calcium reactors, phosphate reactors.
Water quality needs to be paid attention to a little more.
Stability it key.
Water top off is more important to keep salinity stable.
Live rock and live sand can play a crucial part especially in reef systems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store