Getting a big tank

cbfreder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
USA
Hey guys,
New to the ray section, but always wishing. So I am getting some new Ph.D. funding and my life is set quite nicely for a while. I have a 7" black ghost knife in a 29 and I knew I needed to get a bigger tank. So, my GF is getting me a 150 gallon tank--it'll be my first tank with an overflow and a I get to build more sh*t for it. Anyways, I am researching some new inhabitants and after discarding P-bass, I was thinking about a pair of reticulus rays.

I've read quite a few posts, but I am by no means an internet expert. I had a few questions: Are they as hard to care for as some people say? Is this an acceptable match? I am blessed with swamp water--perfect for keeping amazon fish and I keep my water perfect and am used to 50% weekly water changes (with buckets, only three though). Plus, my new apt has utilities included...

Ok next, does play sand count as ray safe? Do they tolerate high flow? Do they need covers (I hate lids)? How large is ray poop (I am used to cleaning knife poop 3x/week, but still)?

Brandon

cbfreder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2006
USA
I've never heard anything about jumping BGK's. Mine is very calm and only comes to the surface to satiate his incredible appetite.

Brandon

hollywood69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2006
virginia
So I am getting some new Ph.D. funding and my life is set quite nicely for a while

what's this you a doctor? if so then figure it out on your own!!!! :) lol, j/k guys that are about to blast me!

you already sound ready, no hood needed for rays, but other fish, its up to you what you get.

retics are hard to get to eat, get motoros! and slap your gf if that 150 isn't at least 24" wide!! that's minimum for owning motoros!

continue your water changing habits, and make sure the ph stays around 6.5
you'll be fine, and yea, as they get big they **** big!

Alex.P

Feeder Fish
Apr 17, 2007
London
A pair of retics would be fine in a 150gal, but your tank would need a lid, as rays can get overly excited when swimming against the glass. Buckets are useless in big tanks. So what you do is you submerge a hose in the tank start the tap, wait till the water flows into the tank then remove the hose from the tap and it should work like a huge siphon, with enought suction to suck up all the crap.
Alex

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
what are the dimentions of the 150

StiffMeister

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
Netherlands
i would not go for retics when you start with rays, why not get a couple of baby motoros. even more beautiful and easier to take care of. and a good reason to get a bigger tank in a year!

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
If you find a Retic that is eating prepared/dead food well (make sure you see it), there isn't a reason not to go for it. As long as you keep the water clean and stable a Retic isn't as bad as a lot make it sound IME.
Motoros are a an awesome hardy ray though. If you're scared about killing your first ray, get a motoro. They are more forgiving.

With that 150 you're going to have maximum maintenance though, and with a motoro you'll probably need to upgrade eventually.

Alex.P

Feeder Fish
Apr 17, 2007
London
Please don't buy a motoro if your not going to upgrade to a 220gal u.k. My motoros use every cm of my 275, 115, 55/ 350gal u.k.
Alex

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store