Getting a leopard gecko

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Ok so I already know most everything that I need to to keep and raise a leopard gecko properly but I had a question. I have a custom made 4x2x2 tank that I had originally used for my beardie (Ed) when I still had him and was wondering if I would be able to use this for a leopard gecko or if this size of tank would be just too overwhelming. I plan on using an empty 20g long for the start, just till I can get Ed's old tank cleaned out, but I was still curious on whether anybody else has used an over sized tank for a leopard gecko or not and what positive/negative effects it may have.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
If you are looking for someone to take that tank, Peter's Banded Skink would be better.
Or, if you are ok with bugs, build up a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Colony (I SWEAR THEY HAVE PERSONALITY)

I would stick with the 20

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
If you are looking for someone to take that tank, Peter's Banded Skink would be better.
Or, if you are ok with bugs, build up a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach Colony (I SWEAR THEY HAVE PERSONALITY)

I would stick with the 20
The roaches are a nice idea but they would be able to crawl out at the top thru the ventilation hole. The skink might work but I don't have very much knowledge of that specific specie.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Tank size for leopard geckos doesn't matter too much as long as there is proper heating elements and enough hiding spaces. At that point it's up to you with how long you want to spend looking for it with each feeding.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
At that point it's up to you with how long you want to spend looking for it with each feeding.
You beat me to it! I was gonna say, Leopard Geckos are very sneaky and enjoy hiding 24/7. In that cage. you would need PLENTY of hiding spots for him. That is a 120 Gallons for a lizard that rarely reaches 9 inches.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
In that large a tank you may be able to keep a few (siblings can be housed together long term, I know someone who keeps two brothers). Either way, I think the gecko would only appreciate a large tank.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
Never cohab leopard geckos. Especially males. Does not matter if they are siblings or if they are in a large enclosure. No enclosure any average person can provide will be big enough to cohab leos, and even if it was, then you would have problems feeding them and monitoring their health. Aside from territorial disputes, having multiple in a tank makes them hard to monitor health wise, because one of the main things you monitor to determine health issues is their poop, which is hard to monitor when there's multiple geckos producing it when you aren't watching.
0 reason to do it. If the issue is space, either don't get multiple or buy two smaller tanks if you're planning on getting a big one for multiple.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I didn’t do it. Apparently the two I was talking about were just an anomaly. Don’t mix them, I didn’t realize it really doesn’t work.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I know you didn't don't worry, just letting the OP know

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
So far I've got it in the 20g long with a single cave for tonight. Need to go out and get a wet hide for it tomorrow, that and planned on getting some live baby crickets for a treat. Haven't checked its gender yet, seems a bit small for it atm only being 4.5-5in long. I'll be uploading some pics tomorrow once it's settled in a bit more, don't wanna over stress it, and it's asleep atm anyways. I believe it is a patternless blizzard if I'm getting my morphs correct. It's a purply, greyish, lavender kind of color if that makes any sense. Has some really dark grey eyes too, kind of neat looking honestly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store