Getting an SAL- advice please

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
Hey guys- Many of you may know I have a 230g tank right now (will be upgraded at some point) that houses a Cuban gar, Tropical gar, and 3 big endlis. The smallest fish by far is the cuban at about 14", the largest is about 24".
A friend just took a trip to Peru and collected a South American Lung for me as a birthday gift. I know they will grow pretty darn fast, and have easy grow out space but my question is how they will generally do long term with the other critters I have in my "big boy" tank.
Any experiences? What size is generally enough to introduce?
Current inhabitants:
trio.jpg

CUBAN.jpg
New addition (obviously after substantial growout):
DSC_1039.JPG

trio.jpg

CUBAN.jpg

DSC_1039.JPG

• Love
Reactions: DwarfCichlidLvr

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Nice stock.
My SAL grew from 4" to 18" in no time. Unfortunately, I had to give it away because it was being out competed for food and started getting thin. I was keeping it with dats and a wolffish, so they were quick eaters in comparison to polys and gars. I found that mine loved algae wafers and foods with vegetable matter more so than other lungs I've kept.
Good luck.

Reactions: DwarfCichlidLvr

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
yea, it will have to probably hit at least 15" before I would even TRY it in with the big boys- that is more the advice I need. How big before it will be likely ok with the big honkers already in the tank.

Since i own a resale business, tank space is at a premium. It is not often I get to keep something for myself in a tank that could be making me money, lol

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Bottle's SAL is now in my tank with my other lungfish and is now at close to 30". It's very active swimming most of the time. Eating smelt, mussels, prawns, shrimps, masivore, aro stick, algae wafers, my floating plants that were supposed to be decoration (water lettuce and someunknown plants that I placed), kale, lettuce and green peace. Loves the green peace.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
how do you find it's behavior? My trop thinks its a poly, and the cuban is very top dwelling- do you see any aggression during feeding time? I have 8 years into the older fish, dont' really want to compromise that for a new fish.

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
SAL are only aggressive toward other lungfish species. Unlike the african lungfish that can be dangerous to other fish. SAL can do well with other fish. Mine is also with large bichirs and gars. Just make sure that when u add the SAL, the girth of the body is large as the gar might see it as food. Add the SAL when it's around 18-20"+ and fatten it up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store