getting bluegill for my aquarium

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
sykofrenic;2222410; said:
its about introduction of new foregin species from the aquarium to the wild and visa versa. there are many irresponsible people out there who would go catch a fish from a lake,keep it in a tank for a while and then release the fish back. on release back to the wild that fish could be taking parasites, diseases, bacteria, algae...anything from the aquarium and introducing it to the wild where it could potentially cause a big problem. look up the asian carp in the mississippi watershed, that is why the state wasnts no traffic at all between aquariums and the wild. plus its a game species and you cant keep game species(or wild animals) as pets
Your argument doesn't hold up, the Asian carp did not come from aquariums and not taking a fish to be put into an aquarium that is non native to start with will not prevent fish from being released into the wild. Very few people are in the keep a fish for a while and release it mode and education and a law against release can prevent that without a draconian law preventing catching your own fish. I am all for laws to prevent the release of any fish that has been in captivity into the wild. Any fish kept in captivity should be killed instead of release, native or exotic. But laws to prevent taking from the wild will have no effect and would only be relevant if aquarium fish were out lawed altogether. But knowing California law, out lawing fish keeping completely is not out of the question especially when they have it half way there already. If they can pass such an unreasonable law then how far behind can total out lawing of aquarium fish really be?

sykofrenic

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 12, 2008
ca
look, if youre not going to give me info about where to get caprive bread fish then stop posting on this thread. i dont need to know your wrong oppinions on my states fish and game laws.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
sykofrenic;2226143; said:
look, if youre not going to give me info about where to get caprive bread fish then stop posting on this thread. i dont need to know your wrong oppinions on my states fish and game laws.

Well you know what opinions are like, if you had paid attention you would have read several places where you can get native fishes. If you had read my signature you would have seen you could have gotten them from me. I collect them from the wild, legally, and breed them. sorry you took exception to the views on California laws.

WattaMelon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
drewish;2224395; said:
There are North American game fish in pet stores?
Yes. Often, there are. There's some at our local little petstore. Currently, they have walleye, muskies (tons of them!), sunfish of nondescript species (they don't know exactly what kind. When I asked, they said "aren't all bluegills just bluegills?"), bass, crappies, and yellow perch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store