Getting my Jurs off live (guppies)

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Anyone else in the tank doing bad? Or just the jurs?

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
I hate it when you get something like these unexplained deaths. I often think high Nitrate is a silent killer and had not considered hardness changes. Is there any evidence of Tig's and Jurs needing soft water? I have quite hard water here in the UK but with hardness often comes stability / buffering and our water is generally quite stable for PH and Harness but the Nitrate in the tap water can vary from 0ppm to 50ppm quite regularly. We sometimes have Chloramine added to our water if there is a bacteria outbreak or to contol other things, a standard dechlorinator will not remove this and it can kill fish very quickly.

I now use an HMA inline filter to remove Chlorine, Chloramine and Nitrate (exchange resin)

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I hate it when you get something like these unexplained deaths. I often think high Nitrate is a silent killer and had not considered hardness changes. Is there any evidence of Tig's and Jurs needing soft water? I have quite hard water here in the UK but with hardness often comes stability / buffering and our water is generally quite stable for PH and Harness but the Nitrate in the tap water can vary from 0ppm to 50ppm quite regularly. We sometimes have Chloramine added to our water if there is a bacteria outbreak or to contol other things, a standard dechlorinator will not remove this and it can kill fish very quickly.

I now use an HMA inline filter to remove Chlorine, Chloramine and Nitrate (exchange resin)
I've kept jurs in "liquid rock" for years, though they always seemed slightly stressed and grew slowly. A couple years ago, I was running a blackwater setup (soft and acidic) for an unrelated reason, and my jur at the time absolutely loved it. She displayed better colors, ate better, and grew more quickly. Attempting to maintain a blackwater setup without ro/di to soften and maintain the water resulted in several random and wild pH changes which severely stressed the jur. I eventually accepted that peat filtration wasn't adequate for what I wanted and went back to liquid rock until I could get ro/di.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Thanks, I too feel that trying to alter PH / Soften the water without RO /di is just asking for problems of non stability, it is just too hard to keep it stable and repeatable. Interesting to hear that the Cat seemed better in the softer water though...it really had not even crossed my mind (I am ashamed to say as I should have considered it)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you all, guys.

All other fish in the same tank and filter system have been doing well.

Now down to one last one.

This is loss #9 of the original 10. Same story, same symptoms. It baffles me that it was eating cut fish so well just a week ago. Was about 9.5".

100_7997.JPG 100_7999.JPG

• Sad
Reactions: Matteus

weirdfishlover

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 2, 2010
< The Red Dot >
Yep same like mine. . . .

Eating fine the night b4 and the next morning it said Amen and returned to its maker. . .

What do u think is the reason ?

I have lost 2 so far :(

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yep same like mine. . . .

Eating fine the night b4 and the next morning it said Amen and returned to its maker. . .

What do u think is the reason ?

I have lost 2 so far :(
For the 99% part, I am clueless. 1% says it feels like a bacterial or viral infection. But really, I don't know.

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update on the only surviving jur, one for ten... This guy has been doing well, especially after I rehomed it from a tank where our largest tig has been showing the jur who the boss is every chance it got. It has been feeding and growing much, much better since, currently attaining about 18".

It was one of the least interesting / unusual ones in the batch of 10, just a typical juruense, but as Chicx rightly noted a while ago it has been becoming more and more like what people call "flash zebra"... in my eyes anyway...

The video below is a joke but all I got to post right now. The jur wouldn't move because it hates light, and wouldn't feed. You can catch a glimpse of it at the beginning when I am filming outside of the tank, two blurry glimpses closer to the end when I tried to get it to move but it bolted like on fire (its residence is behind the camera), and mostly at the end of the video when I took the camera out of water:

Reactions: moe214
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store