Getting pup on massivore .

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Just got myself another BD pup a few days ago.
He's eating small shrimps and also frozen fish.

I want to get him also on massivore , my routine is massivore i feed in the morning to my rays and frozen fish or shrimps at night. that way they are fed 2 x a day.

i've been able to get my other rays on massivore using the soak method.

was wondering if I dont do the soak and just drop the massivore, i can get this pup to take massivore too? how many would you guys try for pup this size?
the P14 he is with does take massivore already.
i was thinking its faster to just drop massivore than preparing massivore soaked in bloodworm juice .

moosemj

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2012
Illinois
I’ve never done the soak method and all my rays eat pellets. It just takes time. If you don’t give them other options and they are hungry they need to decide whether they want to eat or not. So long as they’re doing well and healthy mine have all taken to pellets with time.

Reactions: batang_mcdo

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
I’ve never done the soak method and all my rays eat pellets. It just takes time. If you don’t give them other options and they are hungry they need to decide whether they want to eat or not. So long as they’re doing well and healthy mine have all taken to pellets with time.
thanks , I'm hoping he starts to take pellets in a few days as my new pup is quite young. about 5-6 inches and I'm not sure how long he can last without food.

i've fed him quite full 2 days ago though. fed with krill and lots of fish.
i want him to accept massivore as its what i feed in the morning. he'll be losing out on breakfast if he doesnt accept pellets.

Reactions: moosemj

Jez1992

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
UK
Also how big is the pup, as massivore pellets are quite large. May be best to start on the sinking cichlids gold or carnivore pellets and working up to the massivore

I don't feed mine massivore as is too expensive, just the carnivore and cichlids gold rarely but mainly fresh food

Reactions: moosemj and JK47

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Also how big is the pup, as massivore pellets are quite large. May be best to start on the sinking cichlids gold or carnivore pellets and working up to the massivore

I don't feed mine massivore as is too expensive, just the carnivore and cichlids gold rarely but mainly fresh food
thanks, yup massivore is expensive. my other rays are eating Hikari sinkng cichlid gold too.
I'll try top use that. before i soaked in bloodworms so the massivore would get soft and soggy.

The pups do learn off the parents but I agree with above, start smaller and mix with other foods.
thanks :) will do. I'll try one more day without mixing into other food, tomorrow i'll soak the pellets into bloodworm juice if he doesnt take some today.

Bluebarry

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2011
China
i think the mentioned sticky is quite useful, all my pups take pellets after a period of time. i find that soaking them first either just in tank water or whatever food juice that they are already taking but mainly i think that making the pellets softer is the key, kind of like baby food. If its too hard they have a hard time chewing it and seem to just give up and look for something else.

Reactions: batang_mcdo

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
i think the mentioned sticky is quite useful, all my pups take pellets after a period of time. i find that soaking them first either just in tank water or whatever food juice that they are already taking but mainly i think that making the pellets softer is the key, kind of like baby food. If its too hard they have a hard time chewing it and seem to just give up and look for something else.
thanks!! :) i usually just drop the pellets in the morning, but i'll try to soften the massivore without the juice and see if he will start accepting it. so far even with the juice he just glides over it.

Reactions: Bluebarry
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store