Getting rid of freshwater snails

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
Do most of you guys remove them manually or do you treat them with a chemical?

Can sombody recommend a good product to get rid of freshwater snails without harming my fish? thanks

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Buy 2 decent size clown loaches, you won't have a snail in that tank within 2 hours. Then if you don't want the loaches, ship 'em to me ;). I wouldn't recommend a chemical treatment as its going to effect your fish in some way.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Depending on what type of tank you have I'd recommend certain fish.
50-68 F water: Most Etheostoma sps. (blennioides work the best) (Work well in community settings)
70+ F water: Botia sps. (Work well in most tank settings)

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just curious why you feel the need to get rid of them.
If they are MTS type, they burrow in the substrate which keeps it from compacting, and help break down detritus and dead plant material producing byproducts can be more easily processed by beneficial bacteria.
Many fish will eat them, and they are a normal part of any healthy aquatic ecosystem.
If you have an overabundance though, this may have to do with overfeeding, or the need for more substrate vacuuming and maintenance.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've had an outbreak a month ago. I use water bottles with holes drilled into them and place a few pellets as bait. Within a few hours, I'll have 20-50 snails trapped. Took a couple of weeks and 3 water bottles to bring it down a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I have puffers. I can't raise enough snails and raid all of my friends aquariums to get them. If you can devote the space (a minimum of a 4X2 ft tank) with only one fish, you couldn't be happier than with a Fahaka. There are some others that can be kept with other fish like the Abei and they don't get too big.

Edwardo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
NJ
Just curious why you feel the need to get rid of them.
If they are MTS type, they burrow in the substrate which keeps it from compacting, and help break down detritus and dead plant material producing byproducts can be more easily processed by beneficial bacteria.
Many fish will eat them, and they are a normal part of any healthy aquatic ecosystem.
If you have an overabundance though, this may have to do with overfeeding, or the need for more substrate vacuuming and maintenance.
The only reason i want to get rid of them is because I just put new impellers and shafts in my two ac110's and im thinking that snails getting sucked into the filter can damage the the impeller and or the motor housing. They are pretty hard.
I think im going to pick up a clown loach or two, thanks guys for the replys and ideas.

Podzy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2015
Toronto
Drop a slice of cucumber into the aquarium before you turn out the lights. the next morning it will be crawling with Snails.Toss it in the garbage , Repeat for a few days and Voila !

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Drop a slice of cucumber into the aquarium before you turn out the lights. the next morning it will be crawling with Snails.Toss it in the garbage , Repeat for a few days and Voila !
This.
Or a lettuce leaf.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store