Ghost shrimp breeding info needed

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Hi, so I've had a hand full of ghost shrimp in my 55 for about 6 months now. I've got 2 known female that have been carrying eggs for a lil over 2 months now. Honestly my question here would be when will the eggs hatch, as over 2 months seems to me like an incredibly long time imo. Personally I'm not very experienced with crustaceans so this could be completely normal for as much as I know. If anybody else has any experience breeding these shrimp please enlighten me.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi, so I've had a hand full of ghost shrimp in my 55 for about 6 months now. I've got 2 known female that have been carrying eggs for a lil over 2 months now. Honestly my question here would be when will the eggs hatch, as over 2 months seems to me like an incredibly long time imo. Personally I'm not very experienced with crustaceans so this could be completely normal for as much as I know. If anybody else has any experience breeding these shrimp please enlighten me.
Every link I have just read said that Ghost Shrimp go through a larval stage. Most suggest Cherry Shrimp for breeding. https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/breeding-ghost-shrimp.465668/page-2

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Well I was mainly curious as to how long it takes to hatch out eggs. Honestly it's not too important if they end up multiplying or not but it just seemed like over 2 months as eggs is ridiculous amount of time lol.
Yes that's quite some time unless you had hundreds already lol.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Yes that's quite some time unless you had hundreds already lol.
Nope just the 5 atm lol. Plan on getting some more, they make for a good clean up crew. They get allot of the tiny nuks and crannies that the fish can't reach. Also really fun watching them scramble around trying to catch fish flakes as they drift down.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Depends what sort of ghost shrimp. It seems like a pretty common name for most "colourless" shrimp. If Neocaradina / Caradina they'll hatch into mini shrimp, other types hatch into planktonic larvae that'll be harder to find/raise. Gestation time can also vary. Got photos for us?

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Depends what sort of ghost shrimp. It seems like a pretty common name for most "colourless" shrimp. If Neocaradina / Caradina they'll hatch into mini shrimp, other types hatch into planktonic larvae that'll be harder to find/raise. Gestation time can also vary. Got photos for us?
I'll take some pics here real quick of em if I can. I'm almost positive they aren't neocaradina tho. The biggest female is around 2 inches long. They are often called feeder shrimp around here as well. I get them for 3 for a $1.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Probably the planktonic ones by the looks of it! Not too well versed with their care or breeding.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Probably the planktonic ones by the looks of it! Not too well versed with their care or breeding.
Yeah neither am I lol. Mainly got them to help with clean up in the tank. It just seemed weird that they would stay as eggs for over 2 months tho, would've figured they would be faster then that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store