ghost shrimp tank mates

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I have a 70gl tall tank. I currently have a black moor, pleco and 4 guppies in it. The moor will be going outside come spring. So it will be a guppy tank. I have my cichlid tank and I want a nice calm yet active community type tank set up for this one.

Will guppies eat and kill ghost shrimp faster then they can reproduce? What about the pleco?
The tank only has a few live plants right now, but it will have more come spring when I'd plan on adding shrimp. I have one round rock and a few pieces of wood, but I would add more cover if I got shrimp.

Right now I'm just thinking about possible options. I like the idea of having a breeding colony to not only enjoy watching, but also to give treats to my other fish.

I have never kept shrimp before so I'd appreciate some advise:)

Reactions: tlindsey

bottomdweller72

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2017
Florida
I have ghost shrimp with my rope fish, cory cats, and bn pleco. no one even notices they are in there except the cory's, only because the shrimp are sleeping in the cory's spot now lol not sure about guppies though, what is their diet? my carnivore isn't even bothering them and they are plenty small enough for her to eat. i got the ghosts as helpers to clean up after the pleco because he was killing my tank with his output (added in an extra filter too). i have had my ghosts for about a week now and like i said, no one notices them except the cory's, but they don't even care. good luck!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You can keep shrimp, you may just not see them often. My friend has seen a massive increase in the breeding rates of his shrimp after he took the guppies out. They used to tear the berried females apart to get the eggs :(

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
Ghost shrimp nymphs will not hatch and grow in fresh water. They need salt water in their early stages of life.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Ghost shrimp nymphs will not hatch and grow in fresh water. They need salt water in their early stages of life.
Not true. Depends on species, the common ghost shrimp from the US has nymphs that live in pure fresh with the adults

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
J Judyok I did read that too. So I figured I'd go with cherry reds instead. Well.... I went to the shop to get them and my guppies and they were a whole lot smaller then i thought they would be. Needless to say I only bought guppies.
I'd love to keep shrimp sometime in the future, but it looks like I'd have to keep them in a fishless tank if I wanted a breeding colony:/

Hendre Hendre Anyway a person can tell the difference species apart? I didn't know there was more then one kind.

My goal is to breed feeders for my puffer. So far I've had no luck at all breeding snails. I currently have 5 mystery snails and am waiting to see it they will breed for me. My pond snails all died off without breeding.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Hendre Hendre Anyway a person can tell the difference species apart? I didn't know there was more then one kind.
There can be "ghost" types of many species. Cherries are very easy, mine have went from 10 to 80 in 5 months! Try ramshorn snails, mine are breeding too fast for me haha

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
There can be "ghost" types of many species. Cherries are very easy, mine have went from 10 to 80 in 5 months! Try ramshorn snails, mine are breeding too fast for me haha
I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Not many places around me sell snails, and when they do they are never the ones I want.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Not many places around me sell snails, and when they do they are never the ones I want.
I got mine from plants it seems, they are just in my shrimp tanks.

Shrimp are easy to breed once a colony is established

Reactions: MrsE88

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
Cherry shrimp are pretty easy to breed. Buy some lower quality ones to save money and put them in a 10 tank. You'll have plenty before long. As far as the mystery snails go they do breed pretty often, but it takes awhile for them to start. Once they do you'll have many. Leave the water level down about an inch from the top of the tank. They like to lay egg clutch right at or a little above the water line. Also keep a lid on the tank for humidity and because they like to go for excursions outside the tank. I would find them occasionally on the floor half way across the room.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store