ghost shrimp: the pale janitor of the deep

walrusman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2006
San Diego
I would highly recommend ghost shrimp as pets, rather than food, in peaceful tanks because of thier awsome willingness to scavenge and thier peaceful disposition ( great with tetras).

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I highly recommend them as fish food. Nothing like watching a mini-predator stalk it's prey.

danepatrick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
louisiana, usa
i give them to my africans for food and keep them in my planted tank as scavengers. that's life i guess!

walrusman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2006
San Diego
The ghost shrimp, is in a way, a very good pet. It is strange to think of them this way because we all know them to be intended as fish food. From my experience, ghost shrimp can be quite enjoyable to watch the antics of and unlike most small critters, they are quite bold and will feed from the hand. I had a small colony of them in my ten gallon tank but when the killifish that I kept with them got big enough, he ingested every one of them. If you do wish to keep them as pets, I would wholeheartedly recommend that you keep them alone or with small peaceful fish such as platies or neons. I have had no success breeding the ghost shrimp. They are not likely to breed unless they are kept by themselves in a small planted tank.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
When buying these shrimp, make sure you get the reral ghost shrimp. I bout 10 and they greww like crazy, they started out at about 1/4 inch and now they are 3 inches minimum and they are grabbing other fish and killing them, they are the ones that have the red stripe on their heads. Not sure of the species but they are evil!

Veneer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
TankBuster said:
When buying these shrimp, make sure you get the reral ghost shrimp. I bout 10 and they greww like crazy, they started out at about 1/4 inch and now they are 3 inches minimum and they are grabbing other fish and killing them, they are the ones that have the red stripe on their heads. Not sure of the species but they are evil!
Do you have an image? Texan "ghost shrimp" often turn out to be very young Macrobrachium rosenbergii.

fishbait912

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2006
La
i dont even know if i have ghost shrimp now becuase the other day i saw it eat a neon tetra but i think that one died or something. and today i see it eating another shrimp. although im not sure if that shrimp died or not. the shrimp i have now has a noticeable white spots on them i dunno i just dont want them to eat all of my fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store