Giant Gourami Aggression.

SNRMADE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
?
Gday all, just curious how agro you guys giant gouramis are. Ive got a Giant Grey which ive had since 3'' and has now hit 22'' in 3 1/2 years and only in the last 6 months has started to become quite nasty. Examples are when i put my hand in the tank he comes to attack and rip my finger off and the worst one was a friend of mine asked me to mind a breeding pair of Splendida (male 14'' & female 9'') and i said no probs,but the moment i placed the male in the tank the gourami clicked it and started to attack him viciously! Im talking ramming him at full speed from the end of the 8 ft tank to the other and connecting everytime with a bite! After about a minute I franticly netted out my friends pride and joy and put him in my sick tank,within 2 mins the splendida was belly up:eek:. Just wanted to hear any other gourami stories where they have lost the plot.....

phobull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
In Yo Mind
Sorry to hear man, My RTGG bashes any new fish. The common thing i noticed about the GG's is any new fish that comes in he bullies it until it backs away or the younger GG's tend to just bully anyuthin new and thats it. Thebigger ones are normally gentle anywyas thats what i assume :) by what i seen. You in sydney?

89must

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
N.E. ohio
my gg killed both my 10" oscars after being with them for more than 6 months

SNRMADE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
?
My beast tends to attack anything thats got a silver or purple colour to it, its a deadset weapon!

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Ok, here's my take on it. I've had an Exodon for about 18 months now. Got it at 3.5'' and the first night it wiped out 2-3 bala sharks, largest 9''. The next day 2 silver dollars around 8'' and then lived with a 11'' silver dollar and a pleco for around six months and then got the other dollar. Six months later it went for the pleco that used to hide under the filter, until the gg went sideways to get it. Pleco was removed. At some point after the big dollar went and the pleco was removed we added 3 moonlight gourmai, one was bit in 1/2 within a hour the other two got along fine for a few months then the gg killed them. The fish has always been moody never caring for anything until a month ago when it hit 15'' and has become a total baby, begging for food and eating from the hand?

On the other hand, I've got another one in grow out with various other fish with out issue?

Yes they are agressive but I don't think there is a way to tell until they are in a tank and then again could be quite peaceful until something happens.

Big fish, big personallities.

Bashiba

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2006
Iowa
www.qcdiscgolf.com
My Giant Gourami is about 6 years old and 24 inches long, and ever since he hit about the 14 inch mark he decided he wouldn't tolerate any other fish with him in the 6 inches and up size. He is fine with smaller fish, ignores Australian Rainbowfish, small catfish, silver dollars, clown loaches, but any time I have tried to put anything bigger in with him he attacks it relentlessly, even larger catfish and plecos.

In fact when he was a baby until he hit about 14 inches he lived peacefully with a full grown oscar, then just one day he decided he was going to kill it, he managed to knock the Oscar out of the tank and soaked my nearby computer monitor. I managed to get the oscar and him seperated before he killed the oscar, but he still successfully killed my computer monitor.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Bump, these stories put a dovii to shame!-)

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Bump, these stories put a dovii to shame!-)
Technically, each one has it own reputation.
*GG you will have 50/50 change to comm it if you raise all together when all live stock are young and remember GG behave toward tank mates is changeable but likely its peaceful, it's become aggressive only if you tank too small and tank onwer didn't give the GG enough spaces.
**A Dovii will always an aggressive one in your tank even at small size and will become a killer (male one) when it got some size on it (6~10 inches), it doesn't matter how big your tank a Dovii will always a meant one.
***Both species will own its tank and will kill any new fishes add after its established with an exception that GG would leave tank mates that grew up together alone. There always some odd cases that owner get away and don't experience any aggression or killing tank mates with Dovii.

Reactions: justarn
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store