Giant Gourami and Plants

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I am currently working on the next upgraded home for my giant gourami to last her for the next 3-4 years. I’d love to possibly plant this tank but I am well aware of the plant eating abilities. She eats heads of lettuce often along with pothos, Taro, and other fruits and vegetables.

was curious whether anyone was aware of any aquatic plants that deter Osphronemus? A friend suggested crinum species as their alkaloid compounds are supposedly foul tasting. I am skeptical as to whether it will deter her but am willing to give it a shot. Open to all experiences and thoughts on the matter.

On another note, I’ve gotten a pretty good idea of my specific gourami’s compatibility, she is extremely aggressive with larger fish but pays not attention to smaller fish like tiger barbs. The tank will be housing her and around 30-50 barbs, I am very excited to see how it turns out.

Reactions: tlindsey

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
On another note, I’ve gotten a pretty good idea of my specific gourami’s compatibility, she is extremely aggressive with larger fish but pays not attention to smaller fish like tiger barbs. The tank will be housing her and around 30-50 barbs, I am very excited to see how it turns out.
Do the tiger barbs nip the feelers?

Reactions: tlindsey

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I’m thinking of branching a bit from tiger barbs, perhaps making the setup a mix of different cheap barbs. I was considering mixing in some Ruby barbs, gold barbs, and rosy barbs, along with different color tiger barbs. Unless you guys think a swarm of just tigers would look best?

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I would personally stick to just 1 or 2 species of mid-water schooling fish. More than that and it starts to look muddy and disorganized.

If you want to go with 2 instead of 1, I would recommend Odessa barbs. Their red stripe could be a nice compliment to tiger barbs' stripes.

Reactions: SourAngelfish

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am currently working on the next upgraded home for my giant gourami to last her for the next 3-4 years. I’d love to possibly plant this tank but I am well aware of the plant eating abilities. She eats heads of lettuce often along with pothos, Taro, and other fruits and vegetables.

was curious whether anyone was aware of any aquatic plants that deter Osphronemus? A friend suggested crinum species as their alkaloid compounds are supposedly foul tasting. I am skeptical as to whether it will deter her but am willing to give it a shot. Open to all experiences and thoughts on the matter.

12 Volt Man 12 Volt Man

Reactions: 12 Volt Man

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
I would personally stick to just 1 or 2 species of mid-water schooling fish. More than that and it starts to look muddy and disorganized.

If you want to go with 2 instead of 1, I would recommend Odessa barbs. Their red stripe could be a nice compliment to tiger barbs' stripes.
Yea I didn’t want to go too crazy, Odessa’s are very nice. I currently have some albino tiger barbs mixed in cause they store I bought the ‘test group’ from didnt have enough

SourAngelfish

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2021
Maybe something like 5 greens, 5 albinos and then 30 regular tigers. I’ve been offered wholesale price on an order of ‘XLG tigers’ from the wholesaler. The albinos and greens would provide an interesting subtle mix and they all kind of complement one another.

i also have a group of threespot gouramis kept with her that she will be moved with as well. She was raised with them since she was the same size as them. Never had an issue.

I am having fun working with some of the more basic/smaller community fish though. I typically dont work with fish of this nature

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
I am having fun working with some of the more basic/smaller community fish though.
Same here. No matter how much fun my monster fish are, my small community fish are just as fun as they are.

As for the tiger barb mix, even though they're all the same species, I'd suggest sticking to one color morph (be it albino, green, or regular). It's the same principle as only 1-2 schooling species being better than a big mix, too many colors is disorganized (and there will be the Odessas to provide number 2).

Please share some pictures of this by the way! I've never seen giant gourami with Odessa/tiger barbs and I think it could look pretty nice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store