Giant gouramies in 4500 gal, Tatushka ~22" and Oos ~16"

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Flashback to the years 2009-2011. Our first two GG rescues - smaller pink osphronemus 20", and 20 years old, 26", normal colored osphronemus, named Gus, in a 4000 gal basement pond 40'x6'x3':

Gars 2.JPGGuri.JPGGus 1.JPGGus 2.JPGGus 3.JPG

Fast forward. Here is a video featuring two of our current five giant gouramies. The white one is ~22" and is called Tatushka and the grey one is named Oos, it's ~16". These and three red-tail gouramies ~12" each co-exist peacefully with each other in their 4500 gal. Occasionally their fins get tattered or split but it's likely from other tank mates.

Tatushka had a tough life. First it was tattooed against its will to improve the bottom line of its greedy and inhumane sellers. Then Tatushka got sold to a new owner who raised it in a tiny tank. It couldn't swim much in it and couldn't turn around well or hide when it needed to. So it sat in the corner by a side wall but because it was longer than the side wall, it had to adopt a letter "L" posture. Eventually over time this posture caused a 90 degree rigid turn in its backbone and a strong disfigurement to its snout and skull from the left side of its "face" being constantly pressed against the side wall. So its "face" has adopted a permanent curvature too.

Then Tatushka lucked out and got rescued by a guy who knew how to take care of it and was rehomed into a 240 gal tank. After years of free swimming its backbone straightened out but the "face" has not. The rescuer felt that even 240 gal was not big enough for it, so Tatushka became a second-time rescue and found its way into our tanks, where it's been around 3-4 years now.

Oos has not had it easy either and suffered some at our hands. I bought it at ~2" about 3 years ago. The first two years I've had problems with water in its enclosures, mostly with the hardness being too low (KH and GH 1-3 degrees) and unstable pH. As a result, Oos has developed skin sores several times in that time period and even at one point had to spend half a year outdoors in a natural pond. Finally, the last year it had a chance to reside in adequate water and to grow well.

Both ignore baitfish, cut or whole, entirely and focus on the offered dry feeds picking and choosing what their heart desires at that particular moment. It's almost funny to observe them intelligently checking out various pellets and freeze-dried cuisine like krill and plankton and as if hesitating and thinking "Do I really want this or should I hold out or search for something else? Maybe if I test-taste it… hmm… no, that tastes like refuse! You eat it yourself. I better check out that other stuff…" They like insects, that's for sure.

Last edited:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I take it as a compliment, I guess. Thanks :) Is it the menagerie of animals that excites you? :)

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Another video from the same day as the first video now showing the 5 giant gourami, 3 red tail ~12"-14", tattooed pink ~22", & common~16", in 4500 gal. The red tails show up for a brief moment though, I need to film them better in the future.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Two losses.

21" Pink GG, tattooed. Named Tatushka. Had it for 5 years. A second-time rescue with messed up snout due to having been kept in too small a tank by the original owner and sitting in a corner with its chin pressed against the glass. It could be that my recent Malachite Green treatment was that did it in. Can't be sure. Lost one more RTGG (see below) but three others have been doing ok so far - Oos and two other RTGG.

~15" 2 year old RTGG, the biggest of the three, same story with MG, I suppose, albeit its two brothers / sisters are still doing ok in the same tank.

100_7623.JPG 100_7626.JPG 100_7627.JPG 100_7628.JPG 100_7632.JPG 100_7633.JPG 100_7561.JPG 100_7563.JPG 100_7565-1.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Two red tail giant gouramy, one grey, one pink. 12"-21". The last video of Tatushka, the 21" rescued tattooed pink giant gouramy, ~15 years old.

Looks ok here to me. Does anyone see anything wrong?

It passed suddenly about 2-3 days later.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Looks good, maybe got spooked by a tank mate and hit the side

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store