GIANT gouramis

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
if you keep discus with GG's would that just be a major waste of money (and a couple of healthy discus)?

cause that would be awesome to keep

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
BIGgourami;677965; said:
i'm new to the site and was wondering if anyone kept giant gouramis. not the little six inch ones that are claimed to be giants but the two foot monsters of my dreams. i've seen what people have done with their houses/tanks :drool: and am so jealous. ultimately, though, the biggest i think i'll ever go is a 300. if i win the lottery however, that's going to change ;)
i'm interested in hearing people experience with them and to hear some info about keeping them, i think they are THE best fish EVER!!! :headbang2
I like Giant Gouramies too, but studies have statistically shown that they are not the best fish ever.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
seriously i really would like to know the answer to the above question tho.

Cichlas

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2005
Basingstoke, UK
www.totalfishkeeping.com
BIGgourami;679382; said:
if you keep discus with GG's would that just be a major waste of money (and a couple of healthy discus)?

cause that would be awesome to keep
Depends on the age of the GG. IME, they are pretty aggressive as youngsters, but grow into gentle giants. The big guys we used to have never touched any other fish, not even when they would fit in their mouths no problem. Howerer, as youngsters, they could well kill the discus.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
so if i got and grew one into adulthood i would probably be able to keep them together?
how big/old would he have to be?
also, do either of them (the GG more so than the discus) get along with oscars?
the GG would probably grow faster than the oscar right? especially if i don't try to speed his growth with over feeding live food

Reactions: jjohnwm

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
oh, and a 300 should be enough room for them right?

(1x) 2ft GG & (2x) 12" oscar
or
(1x) 2ft GG & (4-6x) 8" discus

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL

Reactions: ttjacques1994
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com