Giant groumi not growing

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
They look like giant groumi (coloration and patterns) and they're behavior matches
As juveniles, "colours and patterns" don"t really exist on giant gourami, they are an extremely drab looking fish. Hardly any growth at all in over a year is basically impossible with GG, they're one of the fastest growing fish in the hobby.

There's one of two things going on here. Either you haven't got GG at all, or your pond is way too small for "multiple" giant gourami and you've stunted them already!

Close up pictures of the fish will help, and one of the pond too.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I seem to recall that many years ago there was a member of the genus Trichogaster (I think...) that had several common names, and one of them was "giant gourami". They only got to about 4 or 5 inches, so the name never made sense to me. They looked like somewhat drab, larger Dwarf Gouramis. Back then the true Osphronemus was not seen much in the hobby, at least not up in Canuckistan. As esoxlucius esoxlucius stated, true Giants don't have much for colour or pattern at that small size.

Really need a pic.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I seem to recall that many years ago there was a member of the genus Trichogaster (I think...) that had several common names, and one of them was "giant gourami". They only got to about 4 or 5 inches, so the name never made sense to me. They looked like somewhat drab, larger Dwarf Gouramis. Back then the true Osphronemus was not seen much in the hobby, at least not up in Canuckistan. As esoxlucius esoxlucius stated, true Giants don't have much for colour or pattern at that small size.

Really need a pic.
I think it was the India giant gourami (Trichogaster fasciata), which just grew over 4". I also found it weird that its common name was Indian giant gourami when it nowhere near the same size as Osphronemus goramy.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I think it was the India giant gourami (Trichogaster fasciata), which just grew over 4". I also found it weird that its common name was Indian giant gourami when it nowhere near the same size as Osphronemus goramy.
That's the one. Not even as big as some others in the hobby, like the Snakeskin or the Blue, but labelled as "giant". I think they are referred to as "banded" today, don't even know if they are available anymore.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store