Giant Molly?!?!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The major portion of Molly diet is algae, and the large rocks with sections facing the sun, seem to grow a constant supply in the Cenotes
I believe the high nutrient component of this type algae may be one of the reasons for such great growth.
I also noticed that large males seemed to display a territorial aspect, almost like farmers, in areas at lower depths that had unrestricted areas of sunlight on algae patches, a more cichlid like attitude than most live bearers, especially in Cenote Cristalino. These deeper areas, also seemed restrict and afford greater protection from bird predation, allowing for unrestricted growth of those that avoid the cormorants, and other shallow water hunters.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
duanes duanes I may be a bit old for Mexican snorkeling adventures, but the photos are fantastic!

My first fish were mollies back in 1975, but they were never so large.
I kept mollies and guppies in freshwater: basic dime-store tropical fish.

Last year I started keeping mollies again, but in 0.010 saltwater, and they are the biggest, healthiest, hungriest mollies ever.
20190809_062031.jpg
I have 3 males and one huge and constantly breeding female, so fat I think she's gonna roll over and float!
20190809_061431.jpg
I have not tried to preserve the fry, but one managed to escape consumption, and is now a plump 1/2" spotted piggie.
15653571807271189979414.jpg

Reactions: MrsE88

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One other thing, these Cenotes are fed by what some consider under ground rivers, so these fish are under constant water changes (maybe 100% every 10 minutes), so even though some Cenotes are very crowded, growth inhibiting hormones are constantly pushed out to sea.
In one Cenote in certain spots I had to use mangrove roots as grasps because the current was so strong I could have been pushed out to the Caribbean (think it was Xpuha on the rounds of the Bel Aire Eco hotel).

The above crowded tiny Cenote was Cristal, just south of Tulum.

Reactions: Ulu and MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store