Giraffe Catfish growth rate?

Miks786

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2017
Hey guys whats the growth rate on a Giraffe catfish? Im not sure on the species as its still at the lfs..Im looking to collect it soon but wanted some insight of them..

Whats the best food for them??

I will post a pic of them in the lfs

TIA :grinyes:

Not a clear pic but that’s them

0854E876-3E4C-48EE-B03E-B53B6F22C44F.jpeg

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter
Yellowcat Yellowcat

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
The most commonly found at LFS are usually auchenoglanis occidentalis and a. wittei, acquired @ say 4" they will grow to 12" in the first year, reaching around 18" in their second year and perhaps 24" three years later. Beyond that they can grow to 3' or more. They feed well on a variety of sinking Hikari pellets, shrimp pellets and red or black worms and small earthworms. They do well with water temp's around 74 degrees and a PH close to 6.5. They like to have a bit of shade in the tank from pieces of driftwood to hide in and enjoy a gravel substrate that they can sift through to find food and will keep the gravel clean as well if it shares the tank with other species, or not. They are generally peaceful with others although can be minor bullies if they deem themselves the alpha fish in the tank but don't have teeth to damage other fish as they may just want to push their weight around in a playful manner. They are usually rather shy during their first year in the tank but will become more outgoing with time and eventually very friendly with individual personalities that will eat out of your hand, sooner or later...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yellowcat has said it. It depends on the species. The ones in your photo can be what Kirk said, or IMHO could be Bouche or other slower / smaller growing gcats.

Look at the thread of mine kindly linked by Rocksor to see the photos of the small Wittei (Congo), Bouche, Niger, and Volta specimen and see which is the closest to yours, plus the pics in the Cat-eLog on PCF (PlanetCatfish).

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
My 3 giraffes have quickly grown and have even more quickly become my favorites. They act like starving puppies when it's dinner time, hardly leaving any food for the bichirs to eat...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store