Glass/Acrylic Thickness Calculations

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
Rivermud;3713848; said:
post picturses, if you have an 1/8 inch thick acrylic aquarium using those measurements them i'll bring everything down
really an 8' tank with only 1/8"? I'd like to see that too.

usmcpfc

Feeder Fish
Dec 29, 2009
tn
well I'm new but i i do not know how the other member came up with those numbers but i have to say that i think that the calculator is off also i find it hard to believe that my tank that i have currently is under made as to say i have a 72lx36hx24w and it states i need 1 1/4 inch acrylic well i guess its been set up for a few years now and no problems and its only 3/4 inch thick and top and bottom are 1/2 inch but hey things may be different now the tank is 7 years old but still looks great. i do have a little crazing on the lid where the holes are for the top but i mean minimal crazing barely noticeable.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
usmcpfc;3740717; said:
well I'm new but i i do not know how the other member came up with those numbers but i have to say that i think that the calculator is off also i find it hard to believe that my tank that i have currently is under made as to say i have a 72lx36hx24w and it states i need 1 1/4 inch acrylic well i guess its been set up for a few years now and no problems and its only 3/4 inch thick and top and bottom are 1/2 inch but hey things may be different now the tank is 7 years old but still looks great. i do have a little crazing on the lid where the holes are for the top but i mean minimal crazing barely noticeable.
People like you are the reason I never wanted to add an acrylic calc to the tool in the first place.

Before someone says that they have an acrylic tank that's 20+ inches tall with half inch acrylic and it works just fine let me point out that the calculators fudge for safety sake since not all acrylic is the same in quality and not everyone is a master builder..
The acrylic calculator is based on information supplied by a manufacturer of acrylic. It's the same formula for both calculators. If you managed to even get to the calculator you should have read the first line... Guide not Gospel. If you'd like to spend the time to write the perfect calculator that can assume and read minds please, by all means do so.

A few things you may want to think about...

Cvermeulen said:
I've found that some manufacturers (like Cyro for example) give you over the top numbers for thickness. This could be for a number of reasons. My theories are:

1 Their calculation is simplified and does not take into account the compound bending angles involved in real world tank bowing.

2 They are taking responsibility for your potential failures by supplying the calculator, so they use a large safety factor

3 They are serving their self interests by recommending you use a more expensive material than you really need.

uhjkool

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2005
Bismarck, ND
Pharaoh;3675559; said:
The height is what is causing the thickness to go up for acrylic. This is a very good calculator for estimating as it has a higher safety factor for those that are unfamiliar in working with acrylic. Keep in mind, you would want to use cell-cast acrylic in your build.

Are you wanting to build a completely acrylic tank or are you thinking of building a plywood tank.
Does it matter if the tank is plywood for the thickness of acrylic? If so how much?

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
gunthar;3677147; said:
I was thinking of doing an all acrylic tank. But I not sure if I want to test my skill in woodworking to working with acrylic. I wanted the tank to be see through on all sides. Any additional help would be great.
Look at some of the plywood tank builds in this forum. It is possible to add glass or acrylic windows to all sides, rather than just the front as most builders do. You could also build an all-acrylic tank that is strengthened by wood or metal external framing for extra security, if you are worried about your joins not holding.

Sirspifalot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Illinois
I am also looking to build a plywood tank with a glass or acrylic front panel, and I was wondering if the panel sits in a frame that supports it on all 4 sides (similar to a picture frame) will the glass/acrylic panel achieve the same safety factor with a thinner panel? If so how does one calculate this?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Sirspifalot;3808250; said:
I am also looking to build a plywood tank with a glass or acrylic front panel, and I was wondering if the panel sits in a frame that supports it on all 4 sides (similar to a picture frame) will the glass/acrylic panel achieve the same safety factor with a thinner panel? If so how does one calculate this?
Pretty much all tanks have to be supported at the top in some fashion. the frame is just one way of doing it. It is all still calculated the same way. There might be some room to play with the safety factor with additional support, but it would realistically come out about the same.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
daneboy;3987537; said:
how much would the thickness of the glass incress from 30"to45"?
Depends on the length that you are spanning. Give me the measurements and I'll look it up for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store