Glass for plywood aquarium

Daddypurcell86

Feeder Fish
Original poster
Sep 29, 2019
I’m looking to build a single pane plywood aquarium dimensions are going to be 84” x 30” x 30”. The glass I’m thinking 72” x 24” but I’m not sure what thickness I need. Not sure if I should go with 1/2” or 3/4”? I want to make sure it’s not going to flex and break because it’s going on my living room with he’s wood floor. Also has anyone ever built a plywood tank with acrylic viewing panel, can’t find anything definitive on that or how to do it since acrylic doesn’t like wood.

sikoko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
Groton,ct
I believe acrylic is used for smaller viewing windows, if you're worried about glass thickness go with what you feel comfortable with 3/4" is recommended . And always test fill for a bit to ensure no leaks or seepage. You should also post a build thread but beware mfkers are like piranha when it comes to updates usually.

TexasMFK31

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017

It's a sticky post.

wannadivesteve

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2015
Oregon
I think member Stempy built a large aquarium with an acrylic window that seemed to be sucessful. He used a sealant (Dow 795 if I recall) that boat builders use on hatches a lot because it'll bond both fiberglass and plastic. Might want to search for his posts. I think several others have used it to attach glass to pond liner. It isn't that acrylic doesn't like wood, it's that most silicone sealants work poorly on acrylic.

Reactions: BichirKing
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store