Glass thermometer broke.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I just realized that the glass thermometer in my 55 gallon hap tank was broken. I also noticed that one of my haps was swimming a bit weird, I thought it was constipation since I fed him bloodworms yesterday, but I am not sure if it is related to the broken thermometer, or where the piece of glass that broke off the thermometer is.
Here is a picture of the thermometer:
IMG_20190106_015204.jpg
What do you think I should do? Will the fish be all right?

Reactions: TwoHedWlf

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
A few large water changes and hope for the best? That's what I done when one of mine broke. Tank contained my geo Horrace (I assumed he was the thermometer killer), BGK Gwen and two silver dollars. No one died on me so I guess it couldn't have been the worst course of action..

Sorry, wish I could help more.

Also as a side note - what happened to the pink guy? :)

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I just realized that the glass thermometer in my 55 gallon hap tank was broken. I also noticed that one of my haps was swimming a bit weird, I thought it was constipation since I fed him bloodworms yesterday, but I am not sure if it is related to the broken thermometer, or where the piece of glass that broke off the thermometer is.
The piece of glass is probably in the sand/gravel somewhere. And steel ball bearings are harmless.

The fish being constipated or swimming weird is completely unrelated.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I just worry about that piece of glass that I couldn't find, I hope one of the fish didn't eat it.
My ex and I both ran our hands through the gravel to check for glass - DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS! You're still very young and I'd feel like an ashhole if you hurt yourself.

If you have sand maybe flick the filters off and sift sand through the net? The glass should be to big to fall through the gap.

If you have gravel you may have to either ask an adult to help you look for any glass or just watch your fish closely for the next ages and again, hope for the best.

Or go to extremes and get new substrate but that's not always feasible :D

I'll just leave this now and hopefully someone else has a better suggestion. :)

Reactions: CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I have fine gravel in the tank, when the haps were in my 75 gallon which leaked out, I had Black Diamond blasting sand, but the sand didn't sink quickly enough, so it would get sucked into the filters and stop the impellers The haps tend to pile the gravel up on each end of the tank, and my guess is that the glass is on the right side of the tank since that is where the thermometer was.

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I used my python water changer to go through the gravel without siphoning it, and I wasn't able to find the glass, but I think the thermometer was made out of tempered glass, so the piece shouldn't be too extremely sharp. I just hope that a fish doesn't try to eat it, or hasn't already eaten it, LOL.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I think he is an adult...

Tarsun

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2018
my oscar did the same thing. Idk is he actually ate the glass or not but his waste was red'ish for about a week afterwords. I did more water changes to keep the water clean, and iirc i added some stress coat to the water. Dont know if that was the correct course of action or not but he is still alive and well almost a year later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store