Glass Thickness Question

Feezy3000

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Georgia
Hello all. It's a pleasure to be here on this site. I've been a member for over 5 years just fascinated with everything that I've seen on this site. I figure that it's time to get into the thick of things but first I have a question about my aquarium glass thickness. I've seen a lot of builds on here with different glass sizes and thickness. So here it is. I'm going to be building a plywood aquarium as I built one before. Just not this large. The tank will be just under 400 gallons. The question is that I need to know if this glass that I'm using is safe? I have the background on the glass and all. It's 6' long by 4' tall. I have several pieces of it as it was originally an aquarium. The guys that I got it from broke the tank down and I decided to get the glass from him. The inner dimensions of the tank is 74 1/2" (L) x 39 1/4 " (H) x 29 3/4" (W). Again this was already a tank at one point so I figure that it would be okay to make a few tanks out of the glass. The glass is 1/2" thick as I've seen a guy on here do a 500 gallon with 1/2" thick glass. I want to know if this glass will be okay with the dimensions given and if so I will post every pic of the build. It's just that I've been getting conflicting answers about the thickness that should be used. It took too long but I've here because I trust this site the most. I'm so ready to get started with this project. Thanks in advance for any advice available.

G.S.P.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2018
I don't know if this will help but I just got a crazy awesome deal on a used 150g tank that was built back in the 90s...it's using 5/8 thick plate glass and it's a MONSTER...took 5 people to lift it out of the truck and into my home on the steel frame that was built for it...I have seen most places say that 12mm is all you need even for a 400 gallon tank when using glass...there's also the tempered glass option will give you even more strength.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store