Global doom and gloom.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
On a personal level you might have a lot of happy things going on in your life. New job, a new addition to the family, marriage, just retired and looking forward to the rest of your life, maybe a new car does it for you or a holiday you've been looking forward to. Or in our cases, that big upgrade that you've been planning for months finally comes to fruition. Loads of stuff might be going on in your life that make you happy.

But for now let's put aside the personal stuff and think big, really big, think globally. What's going on in the world right now that makes you truly happy and optimistic for future generations?

The idea behind this thread came to me twofold, whilst I was watching a documentary on the amazon rainforest and later in the same day a documentary on the great barrier reef. Beautiful beautiful places with a vast array of wildlife. And then two words spoilt the whole thing.....deforestation and bleaching. In reality the long term future for both the amazon rainforest and the great barrier reef are bleak.

I got thinking and other things were pinging into my head. Words like global warming, starvation, famine, wars, over population, pollution, oceanic contamination, diseases (particularly apt at the minute), crazy global weather. But even these are small potatoes when you add words like, earthquakes, super volcanoes, tsunamis, and the big big one, the inevitable and eventual asteroid strike. Many scientists believe we are going through a mass extinction period right now.

I mean, how utterly depressing. I'm truly struggling to come up with a global positive even on a short term scale, let alone a long long term one.

Cheer me up guys.☹

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I am the last person that should answer this as I have sought the doom and gloom of this world out for as far back as I can remember, the majority of the people see the world through rose colored glasses which is why one needs to seek out the truth in my opinion.

If you ask me, the gen z, as much as I despise them, have something that no other generation has had yet, the willingness to ***** about something they don’t like when they see it immediately. If anyone is going to change the world it’s them because they aren’t going to stop *****ing until something changes and if the current people in charge won’t change it then gen z will put themselves into the positions necessary to change it themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalfrey86

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Sad but true. Very gloomy. A
dd invasive alien species aided by more and more globalization caused by the human need for both necessary and unnecessary things, and even the wildest places are occupied by species that don't belong there, but which displace others. A mess!

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
There is much more awareness for mental health and the sense of self amongst people, I am astonished at the level of support my classmates are giving each other virtually even though we can't really see each other much. People are starting to realise what they really appreciate in life and I think it will have a positive impact on those who needed to figure out what they want.

It's causing a huge shift in the workplace with flexible commuting, which will no doubt save on emissions and money for many people. On that note, air is clearing up and nature is getting a break, it has given researchers an amazing opportunity to study what wildlife does without us around.

Lockdown has given more family time for some, I have been at home for the past 4.5 months now and without the stress of schooling and academics it is nicer. Not to mention I get to spend time caring for my pets and establishing some news ones!

Those are some small things I have noticed, no doubt there is more.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I think the next decade or two are going to decide which way the future goes. The younger generation do seem to be more aware of the problems and willing to do something about them but a lot of them also think liking an instagram post is making a stand. I am inspired that a lot of them do take action, even though someone like Elon Musk is a strange character he is actually building his own spaceships and electric cars and truly making a change to how things are done. In my line of work I deal with a lot of young guys in the solar industry and I really enjoy their attitude of changing the world for the better and also making some nice cash at the same time, it's a better example to inspire others than the old hippy drop out mentality even though a lot of them ar actually dreadlocked pot heads they are very intelligent and motivated to improve things. Living that life but actually being financially successful , running a business and providing employment but also living within their own moral code and sticking it to the man (fossil fuel companies) is a good way to live and a good example there is a middle way between being a bum or a corporate drone.

For someone my age I could either have a dream retirement in my giant fish room within my energy efficient biodome with a martini and spliff of genetically modified herb while my robotic maid caters to my needs or be standing in a line in an apocalyptic desert fighting for my totalitarian government issued daily food and water ration. I genuinely think both options are real possibilities.

Maybe duanes duanes has the right idea, just go live on an island somewhere and don't bother anyone and let the issues of the world play out in someone else's back yard.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The large proportion of my generations current disrespect for science, and denial of its fascist destruction of the environment does not offer much hope, I agree.
Maybe if the earth can just make it until we croak and the young take over.
In some ways I believe the current Covid crisis might provide a kind of self cleaning Darwinian extinction event of those who believe in a flat earth and don't take nature and viruses seriously enough, leaving room for critical thinkers to save it.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The large proportion of my generations current disrespect for science, and denial of its fascist destruction of the environment does not offer much hope, I agree.
Maybe if the earth can just make it until we croak and the young take over.
In some ways I believe the current Covid crisis might provide a kind of self cleaning Darwinian extinction event of those who believe in a flat earth and don't take nature and viruses seriously enough, leaving room for critical thinkers to save it.
Something we young 'uns call the "Boomer" mentality, amongst my fellow students there is a significantly higher awareness for the environment

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Solely due to this virus I have learned that most of the few people I was willing to stand with and call them like minded individuals are nothing more than fools who should not be taking up space on this rock we call earth.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; The topic of this thread is one I have given serious thought for decades. I have been conflicted in my opinion about how world would turn out as a result of human impact. Also I have had a foot in both sides of the outcome. (Actually it is not so simple as two sides, but for the analogy to work well I would need a few more legs)
I taught the sciences for over 30 years in schools always including units about the environment.
global warming, starvation, famine, wars, over population, pollution, oceanic contamination, diseases (particularly apt at the minute), crazy global weather
My environmental units included but was not limited to the things you mention. I can add to the list and may later if this thread survives. A best estimate is the thousands of students passing thru my classes were exposed to the various environmental and ecological issues and maybe a few took the information to heart. So I was active in spreading the word starting in 1970 up to 2004.

How did I do on a personal level being one of the "boomers"? Not always so great as I was torn between a love of sporty automobiles and in my old age have discovered I do not like the new hybrid and electric vehicles. I do not think I will ever own one. My single best action may be that I decided to remain childless back around 1975. My thinking being at the time that overpopulation was at the root of most of the other issues. I do not at this late date see reason to change that opinion even tho overpopulation seems not to be part of the leading edge of environmental concerns the last few decades. I hope my personal "footprint" is among the smaller compared to my peers. I do things now to help keep my impact small.

Reactions: Niki_up

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
TOS Section 5: - Posting of Political/Politicized content (Section 5, Paragraph 8): We all know the things that start fights amongst Americans in this day and age. Politics (all of it), guns, climate change, ANYTHING to do with Presidents Trump or Obama,
Hello; The topic of this thread is one I have given serious thought for decades. I have been conflicted in my opinion about how world would turn out as a result of human impact. Also I have had a foot in both sides of the outcome. (Actually it is not so simple as two sides, but for the analogy to work well I would need a few more legs)
I taught the sciences for over 30 years in schools always including units about the environment.

My environmental units included but was not limited to the things you mention. I can add to the list and may later if this thread survives. A best estimate is the thousands of students passing thru my classes were exposed to the various environmental and ecological issues and maybe a few took the information to heart. So I was active in spreading the word starting in 1970 up to 2004.

How did I do on a personal level being one of the "boomers"? Not always so great as I was torn between a love of sporty automobiles and in my old age have discovered I do not like the new hybrid and electric vehicles. I do not think I will ever own one. My single best action may be that I decided to remain childless back around 1975. My thinking being at the time that overpopulation was at the root of most of the other issues. I do not at this late date see reason to change that opinion even tho overpopulation seems not to be part of the leading edge of environmental concerns the last few decades. I hope my personal "footprint" is among the smaller compared to my peers. I do things now to help keep my impact small.
The fact that you've consciously tried to reduce your "impact" on the global situation is very commendable, especially making a sacrifice such as not having children to help with over population. But your ethic only works if EVERY single person on the planet recognises they have an impact. A single effort is pointless if the vast majority just do what they want and carry on regardless. And that's what's been happening for decades.

Thankfully the sweeping phenomenon that is Greta Thunberg is showing that the younger generation have got a better handle on this stuff than the old guard who are currently "in charge". Years and years down the line when this young generation get into politics and high powered government positions then and only then might we see something drastic start to happen on a global scale, that is if they still harbour their beliefs as they get older.

------no politics please--------

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store