Going down the poly worm hole…

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Im no stranger to keeping ancients over the years… always been a staple of gar, lung, aros, and knives in house… with my love for large cats, polys were always eventually eaten tho ??… after many years in, its time i take a trip down the poly worm hole in a tank where they wont be consumed. Have 2 species on the way to start things off and 3 buckets of “the good stuff” ie. Barton36cg for my 500g… now for the 39 day wait for shipping ?‍♂
81D70546-7FB2-4329-8F69-9DAFBF11808B.jpeg

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Im no stranger to keeping ancients over the years… always been a staple of gar, lung, aros, and knives in house… with my love for large cats, polys were always eventually eaten tho ??… after many years in, its time i take a trip down the poly worm hole in a tank where they wont be consumed. Have 2 species on the way to start things off and 3 buckets of “the good stuff” ie. Barton36cg for my 500g… now for the 39 day wait for shipping ?‍♂
View attachment 1497108
LOL waiting for my barton took forever... especially when I had my tank up and running already. That only made the wait longer.
Glad you are getting into the polys. They are truly a misunderstood and underrated fish.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
LOL waiting for my barton took forever... especially when I had my tank up and running already. That only made the wait longer.
Glad you are getting into the polys. They are truly a misunderstood and underrated fish.

Always been a fan, they were always too “small” for the rest of my stocks tho and suffered the consequences of ending up in someones gullet lol… as i get older i can appreciate they will never out grow my current accommodations, “play nice” with each other for the most part and theres a good variety to “pile up” ??… worst part of my scenario is the tank used to house rays so it has white torpedo beach substrate. Arch enemy of polys lol… hoping their colors come back after the wait for the barton ?…

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
How many were eaten by those hungry hungry hippos catfish? ?

• Haha
Reactions: clm08k

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
How many were eaten by those hungry hungry hippos catfish? ?
Meh… not many to figure out things didnt “work”… got my 1st poly 21yrs ago… it was taken out by a florida gar i still have at 17yrs old. Lost an ornate to a RTC many moons ago. Had a few others down the drain i got in as trade over the yrs. Nothin too substantial lol… not much out there i havent kept before but surprisingly aside from sens, ornate and 1 del, polys are an “open” sp. for me.

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Always been a fan, they were always too “small” for the rest of my stocks tho and suffered the consequences of ending up in someones gullet lol… as i get older i can appreciate they will never out grow my current accommodations, “play nice” with each other for the most part and theres a good variety to “pile up” ??… worst part of my scenario is the tank used to house rays so it has white torpedo beach substrate. Arch enemy of polys lol… hoping their colors come back after the wait for the barton ?…
Rays and white sand....
As a poly keeper that scares me ?

I also just set up a 5 ft by 2.5 ft by 2 ft ancient fish tank with Barton. With a good light Barton can look really red. The sand is less pink in person than what the picture shows. It is more of a dark red.
20220611_214331.jpg

Last edited:

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Rays and white sand....
As a poly keeper that scares me ?

I also just set up a 5 ft by 2.5 ft by 2 ft ancient fish tank with Barton. With a good light Barton can look really red. The sand is less pink in person than what the picture shows. It is more of a dark red.
View attachment 1497156
Lookin good over there ??… Def. Love the look of the barton, didnt wanna mess around with anything else lol… hoping i have enough different lights to play with in house to get that deep red ?. Like with polys on red… rays on white helps bring out their colors best. The 39 day wait may test my patience tho ?

Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Polypterus_36 Polypterus_36 heres some white on white to scare ya ??… figure i show the “before” here anyway as a bench mark. Anxious to get some color in this tank. I think ite’ll do the RTGG some good as well ?… tank is 10’x3’x32” dble bullnose… prob not the typical mix of stock for polys but i think theyll do ok if the knives leave them alone. Plenty of floor space to fill.
444A6B29-69CE-4006-92F5-4A9223B318B4.jpegB681EF36-CE8F-4B16-996E-63BD04B0472E.jpeg

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
Polypterus_36 Polypterus_36 heres some white on white to scare ya ??… figure i show the “before” here anyway as a bench mark. Anxious to get some color in this tank. I think ite’ll do the RTGG some good as well ?… tank is 10’x3’x32” dble bullnose… prob not the typical mix of stock for polys but i think theyll do ok if the knives leave them alone. Plenty of floor space to fill.
View attachment 1497159View attachment 1497160
The white knives would contrast the barton nicely.
What kind of polys you planning on keeping?

Reactions: wednesday13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store